Expensive Barbel Rods

W

Wolfman Woody

Sound like a nice rod Graham, but as you say, is the extra worth it over a production rod?

It's not that much more though, after all.

Deanos - get your name in for this one. You never know! :eek:)

honslow

Reaction score
Is this the same blank as the Chimera 2 or just something similar?
Just visited the Peregrine website. It's the DVSG meets HPS all over again! Nice photo of someone touch legering at Hazleford on the home page. Is Tony going to get all miserable and get them to remove it, or is he sponsored by them? Ha, ha!
Only joking lads. Peace and good will to all men.
I've been tempted by Peregrin for a while but chose to get Mark Tunley to build me some Chimeras and I've been delighted with them. Slayed an 18-2 Nene mirror carp only last night using my No2s. For a stepped up barbel rod they aren't half good at stopping big carp too.
Matt appears on the website and I know he swears by the Peregrin flood rod. Any idea how that differs from the Chimera 3 Matt?

honslow

Reaction score
Woody, a Harrison or Peregrin rod is definitely worth the extra wonger. They are just great rods. They feel different to mass produced rods off the shelf and, with the right fittings, they should last you a bit longer too.
Save up, it's worth it!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

And you are so right Greg.

I own 9 rods built on Harrison blanks from fly rods to Avon and Barbel rods.

honslow

Reaction score
Now you're just bl**dy bragging Ron! You lucky bugger...

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Ive been thinking of trying to save up for this particular rod for crimbo. Looks great and I'm sure they are but are they really worth that extra money? I would love to own a rod and just think yes this is the dogs wotsits.

W

Wolfman Woody

I do have a Harrison Chimera Snag rod and a Sulis Travel Rod, Greg.

I still consider them to be production rods albeit on a small scale.

We're talking ?165 for a Chimera and ?180 (isn't it) for the Peregrine. ?15 isn't much to really think about if it's what you want.

Peter Webb 4

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like to much money to me for hand built rods.I had three Hexagraphs built by Bruce and Walker back in 1992 and they cost me ?238 each then.To-day the same rods are ?450 each to be made.So the Peregrines are vey reasonable.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Right I'm going to get one for Christmas. I've decided on it. For a while now I've wanted a rod with a bit more power in it, something classy and most of all versitile!

I'd use the rod for all my barbelling on the Thames in the summer (not that much), Canal pike (not expecting any monsters) and most of my carp fishing (light carp fishing I might add).

And to top it all off, I'd like to be a bit unique. Ok it might sound a bit sad, but to me mucking about with my rods and tackle is part of the fun.

When I finally get one I will let you what I think of it!

W

Wolfman Woody

Tell you what, Christian. Talking to the guys on Harrison's stand on Monday and found myself standing in a pool of my own dribble.

If only they'd have left me alone for five minutes with a nearby exit open........

Paul Morley

Reaction score
When I bash into a tree staggering off the Ribble in the dark, trip over, bend a ring, drop me rod, fall over a fence, leave it rigged up in my lean-to, have it dragged away by a barbel, etc, I'm always glad of me Shimano Hyperloop budget ?44 1.75 TC...!