Fox pop up sticks....

T

Tony O'dell

Has anyone used the fox deadbait pop up sticks, and if so, any feedback?. Also, what is the best way to attach them to the hook?
regards
Tony

R

Rob Brownfield

I make my own, much cheaper. Attach to the hook with fine brass wire. The fox "rigging" wire will do, but B&Q do the same stuff at a fraction of the price.

C

Chris Bishop

Don't bother with 'em unless you use really small baits. Try poly balls - quid for four or five from tackle shops, craft shops etc.

Just wire to bottom treble with fuse wire, mono or braid.

R

Rob Brownfield

The foam covered bendy things women use in there hair are perfect for popping up bigger baits. I nick the red, yellow and green ones from my girldfriend and chop them into short cylinders. These are wired to the hook and can be trimmed to suit the bait with ease. the green is used on very clear waters, the red and yellow at dusk or in dirty water. You can even dunk them in a flavour and they absorb it, but stay floating...great stuff.

T

Tony O'dell

Brilliant, thanks all, will check out B and Q.
Rob, do you use a cut down hook as the eye for the deadbait sticks, and what wood ( assuming you use wood) do you make them from?
Cheers
Tony

R

Rob Brownfield

I started by using a long shank Aberdeen sea hhok and snipping of the bend..then aralditing it into the balsa. I now use the "baitholder" type as these have slices in the shany that stop the eye from pulling out.

Shape the baslsa with sandpaper...takes a couple of minutes and wither use fly tying varnish to seal them against water, or dip them in fish oil...works just as well.

C

Chris Bishop

They're made of balsa wood like you get from craft shops.

Some firms varnish tme, though - there was a debate about whether this could harm the fish a few years ago, which was went most people switched to poppers of one kind or another.

You can either pay a small fortune for these or make your own from corks, polyballs etc.

There's a thing in Coarse Fisherman - or a plug for Fox, depending how you look at it - showing how to rig them up this month.