Marking the line ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
When fishing for carp i would tie a stop knot with pole elastic where i want the line to be clipped up.

Unfortunately the stop knot wont go through the rings of my lighter quiver rod. Apart from permanant marker pen & electical tape (both a pain to get off again) is there a method i'm missing ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Could you set the marker stop knot at the rod tip?

Would still need to come thru the rings when winding in & casting out (or am i misunderstanding ??).

If i mark it at the reel end it runs the risk on a bigger fish if need to give line past the casting distance

barbelboi

Reaction score
What about, once you have clipped up, tying a sliding stop knot from mono on the mainline that is on the spool next to the clip.
If a big fish runs away from you unclip and let it run.
As you regain line watch for the sliding knot and reclip as the stop knot reaches the spool.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
What about, once you have clipped up, tying a sliding stop knot from mono on the mainline that is on the spool next to the clip.
If a big fish runs away from you unclip and let it run.
As you regain line watch for the sliding knot and reclip as the stop knot reaches the spool.

It is getting a knot past the tip rings that is the problem

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
One method I use is to clip up for casting then unclip before tightening up. Just pull a bit of slack line before retrieving and then clip up again. It's exciting when you forget to unclip and you hook a carp!