The Fat Lady sings for the last time

beerweasel

Reaction score
Sorry but that was an ugly fish, give me a 2lb Rudd or 5lb Tench any day. :w

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is always sad to see a 'special' fish pass on, and I wonder if there ever was a more aptly named Carp.

It seems though that the journalist for the Mail has never heard of Catfish either . . . . . . . .

The largest freshwater fish in Britain?

theartist

Reaction score
I'd just finished drawing this Carp when i heard of its death, spooky or what.

Never posted a pic on here so hope you can see it

Attachments

• TheFatLadywatermarked.jpg
    TheFatLadywatermarked.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 52

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]It's not appearing theartist – The way to go appears to be download to your gallery – blow the pic up to full size – right click and copy image location – on the row of icons over the message you send right click over ‘insert image’ icon and paste the location then hope for the best. You should then get the full pic displayed with your message. (He said hopefully)
[/FONT]

dezza

Reaction score
Sorry but that was an ugly fish, give me a 2lb Rudd or 5lb Tench any day.

Do you know I tend to agree - a "Raddled Old Tart" make no mistake.

But I discovered some really class roach this morning and I'm looking forward to getting a few this autumn and winter.

theartist

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]It's not appearing theartist – The way to go appears to be download to your gallery – blow the pic up to full size – right click and copy image location – on the row of icons over the message you send right click over ‘insert image’ icon and paste the location then hope for the best. You should then get the full pic displayed with your message. (He said hopefully)
[/FONT]

Thanks Barbelboi, i think thats a wee bit complicated for me, if folks want to see it they should be able to do it via my username/homepage link i think.

flightliner

Reaction score
Big fish--- never heard of it tho!--- being in a stillwater and having no-where to hide must have made it hard for it with all those big guys chasing it.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Do you know I tend to agree - a "Raddled Old Tart" make no mistake.

But I discovered some really class roach this morning and I'm looking forward to getting a few this autumn and winter.

Me too. I also enjoying back to basics every now and again on a farm pond of about three quaters of an acre. So far taken roach to 1lb 10oz, perch to 3lb 14oz and little crues and tincas. Still a bit of an unknown to me but great fun and a pleasant change on light tackle.
barbelboi-albums-c1-picture2670-field-pond-1.jpg

uscarper

Reaction score
i know this may sound like a stupid question, but how do they get there names does the first fisherman to catch it get to name it? if a stocked fish does the venue owner get to pick a name? here in my area of the states, i have heard of one fish that was named. big blue. a 100 lb blue catfish. it was in a paylake and named by the owner. people would laugh me of the venue, river, lake, if i named a carp here. people here would try to catchit, then kill it so they could say i killed mikes {insert fishes name}. peice of **** carp anyway, carp are hated here by almost all fishermen. at least in my area. would not matter that its a large old fish. its just a carp.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
One of my local pits had a 'named' carp which eventually dies last year. The result of this is that the 'carp' people (I hesitate to use the word 'fishermen!) have now deserted in droves. Sad about the fish but not about the lack of 'carpers'....

RIP Mary, and I think you probably deserve it!

ps I have nothing against carpers per se, its just the disgusting rubbish (some) leave behind for others to clear up!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Does it really mater ?

Yes there are Carpers who will regret the death of this carp, there are also lots who will not.

The Sport of Angling has moved on a great deal in the last 50 years and Carp Fishing, whether you like it or not has been at the fore front of the angling changes.

So a few Carp Lads think it's sad a Carp they have strived to catch has died, I can see that ?

Is there an element of posters on this site, who knock anything slightly Modern or up to day, including a form of the sport they have very little knowledge of and even less desire to take part in.

So instead they have pop at every opportunity to have a go at the minority who either bring the sport into disrepute or fish in a manner they regard as not sporting ?

Get a life lads.

Bob

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Is there an element of posters on this site, who knock anything slightly Modern or up to day, including a form of the sport they have very little knowledge of and even less desire to take part in.
Don't know about others, but my comment was about the fish's ugliness (although I'm no picture, believe me.)

In general I don't like mirror carp, commons are something else and can be quite beautiful fish if not overweight with large tubs, but there is a mirror carp in our river of about (guessing) 35lbs. I have seen it in the water close in, even tried to photograph right beneath my feet, and it does look a monster - and that's with the effect of water making it look smaller. Now I wouldn't half mind that on my line one night, but since I only fish a 1½lb rod with 10lbs line, I'd need all the skills I could muster to land it even if it did find my bait.

I'm not against anyone carping, but some people do put size above all else and I prefer the beauty of the fish I catch, whatever their size. I'll probably be quite disappointed in my river carp if it ever gets caught, it's like seeing a bird walking down the street with cracking legs, nice backside, lovely hair do and then she turns around and you see her damn ugly face... Like Christmas presents, they're often best left unopened. ;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Bob Hornegold: I've looked back through the various posts prior to yours and I cannot find any that bear out what you said in yours....apart from mine!
I did make a comment about carpers but qualified it by saying I have nothing against carpers (per se) -only those who leave piles of rubbish for others to clear away.

Thats NOT to say carpers are always responsible because that would be a ridiculous statement to make, BUT I do speak as I find in this case-a minority always spoils it for the majority......

I hope this explains where I'm coming from(?)

ps I shall be out carp fishing at 4am tomorrow.A short 5 hour session in and among the regular 'carpers' who've been encamped for days!!...................We talk as well!!

uscarper

Reaction score
i know things are different here, i love carp fishing along with other species as well. i carp fish because its a hard fighting fish that grows to a large size. that being said i like a 6 lb carp the same as a 20lb carp. here they are relatively easy to catch as no one fishes for them here. its alot of fun, and i like to experiment with baits, rigs and such. this is very satisfying to me, to find new things that work. its relatively cheap to do, compare bass fishing here in the states where you pay 8 dollars for a rapala plug that may catch fish today but not tomorrow so i need another 8dollar bait to catch today. for 8 dollars i can carp fish for a week. people that litter would litter no matter what they fish for. people who fish for days on end, well thats their choice nothing wrong with that.i understand that some carp fishermen give it a bad name. but this is true for every specie that is fished for, i consider my self lucky, i fish for a specie that no one wants to catch and i basically have them all to myself:D