VIRUS WARNING

A

Alan Fawcett

If any of you have recieved an e-mail from me within the last 20mins delete it straight away DO NOT OPEN IT
I recieved an e-mail from a friend & opened it cos he's always sending me funny stuff.

The problem is it wasn't a funny mail it looks like its one of the viri that sends itself using your address book

Its entitled card.doc gif or the original one was fun.mp3.pif

If you recieve either of these get rid of them straight away.

they contain the W32.badtrans.b@mm virus

which effect the .exe files

D

Dave Johnson

I got a warning note with an e-mail from the bikemagic site earlier Alan. Just deleted everything, ran a scam etc and it looks to be ok.

N

Nicky Garbutt

havent people got better things to be doing in their time than senting virus's.

F

Fred Bonney

Keep your anti virus scans up to date.Something knocked my one out last week and I ended up with a worm??type virus.I had to relode my operating system as it had been infected.

A

Alan Fawcett

Fred

The same thing must have happened to my AV (norton) because it auto updated on the 23/11/01 ????

I recieved a second mail about 10/15 mins after the first one, This one was from Gaynor (dunno anyone called Gaynor) & the AV picked it up this time so as you can guess i was a bit confused as to why it didn't pick it up first time round.

K

Kevan Farmer

Sorry to upset some of you guys but Norton AV is not one of the best around. I know, I was in the industry before medical retirement. I use F-Secure from DataFellows. I update every day fi there is a sig file available. A sig file simply being a new list of viruses. I have never been hit by any worm or virus to date. If anybody is using a 24/7 internet connection then you should seriously be looking at implementing a firewall together with a regularly updated anti virus package.

Kevan - sorry to be a doom and gloom merchant on this one.

K

Kevan Farmer

Forgot to mention. You can avoid the majority of viruses and worms by ditching Microsoft e-mail products. There are plenty of free ones about and if anybody wants some advice mail me. I have used Pegasus for years and am more than happy with it.

Kevan

M

Malcolm Bason

I just received it this morning - or at least I think I did?? "fun.mp3.pif" was what it said so.......

R

Rodney Wrestt

I couldn't agree with Kevan more, anyone interested in protecting their system using a firewall can get a free version from www.zonelabs.com, I installed this about 1 month ago and was unaware of the amount of times people try to access my system (up 47 times in a few hours) and how much software has spyware installed and uses the system as a server.

F

Fred Bonney

Just to confirm and thank Rodney,I just installed ZoneAlarm and had two attempts to gain access to my computor in two minutes !!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've been hit with a dozen of these in the last two days (w32.badtrans.b@mm). Luckily my virus prog is catching them and putting them in quarantine as they come in.

Make sure your virus software is up to date.

C

Chris Bishop

There's a list of keywords on there which usually appear in the subject line.

W

Wendy Perry

i've had 5 in 1 day all from wes Braithwaite and my virus checker put all mine in quarentine too
Please make sure your virus checker is up to date !!!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Just had Loveletter virus....Checker quarentined it, also got one that said "auto hard drive format", it kept opening folders with a new formating sector** (** was a differant number in each window)in each heading and a message saying "Quick pull the plug you might save something".

P

Paul Kendall

For more info on badtrans (W32.Badtrans.B@mm) and a badtrans removal tool go to www.symantec.com or www.pandasoftware.com

If you want to find out if you are infected search for a file called KDLL.DLL if you've got that file then you've got the virus !

K

Kevan Farmer

Just to add to this. If you receive a message with just Re: as the subject then delete it. It's odds on that this is the badtrans virus. It also has a number of variations on the file extension. I've been sent .pif and .mp3 Thankfully my anti virus software is bang up to date - as in every day if there is an update available - and has caught it everytime. If you have an option called 'Heuristic' in the options then I suggest you make sure it is enabled. This is a bit slower but it will pick up any unnamed virus. It does this by checking odd behaviour from any new files.

Kevan