Are they the same reel?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I was looking at this group test and noticed the remarkable similarities between the John Wilson Baitmaster at ?39.95 and the Badger Ultracast at ?24.99. Apart from the handles and colour they seem identical. The JW reel got a better write up but would you pay ?15 more for the same reel?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

his specifications could be having his name on it ....

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
okuma make most of them to order ,you can specify:no of bearings,body colour,handle type and kn0b/swithes & name to be used on the reel ect bulk purchases though.theres quite a few reels out there that are similar as other eastern manufactures copy the style of the reels.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Aye that's true Ed, I think that's a bit of a cop out though.

I know 'technically' asking for it in blue is then your specification but 'designed to Matt's specifications' implies (as the marketing department intended) that he designed the whole reel.

I dislike misleading advertising and 'non-claims' by products.

e.g; 'It's almost like being given a helping hand by mother nature' (some yoghurt stuff for kids)

That doesn't mean anything.

Also; 'could reduce flakes by up to 99%' (head and shoulders shampoo)

So it might reduce flakes but not for certain and if it does it could be by anywhere between 1 and 99%. A non-claim.

Bah humbug.

M

Mark Hodson

Its like food product maufacturers that produce ready meals etc for the different supermarkets, same product different packaging. Been going on for years in the tackle trade, happens with reels, rods, luggage, accesories, basically everthing thats produced in the far east.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Strange world isn't it. I don't seem to remember Mitchells and ABUs needing a big name ("badge engineering")on the side to sell millions of reels!