One dead Abu 5501c

R

Rob Brownfield

I use a 5501C for lure fishing with small jekbaits and things like Super Shad Raps. The problem is this, I like to use my rod to impart a lot of action into the baits, but yesterday, as i was twitching the rod, the reel handle was turning backwards with a horrible grating noise. i use 50 pound braid on this reel and its about 6 months old...any ideas?

T

Tim Kelly

Rob

Unless anything major has gone it could be that there is too much oil/grease in the infinite antireverse bearing. That's the one mounted in the side cover. take the sideplate off and flush the bearing with lighter fuel, petrol, or something similar then, lightly oil the bearing. If that doesn't cure it, send it to Reel Value for a repair. While you've got the sideplate off you will probably be able to see if anything major has broken.

Tim

P.S. The reel has re-engaged presumably, it's not just stuck in freespool?!

N

Nicky Garbutt

mybe the drive cogs have losed some of their teeth that might be it.

R

Rob Brownfield

As the spool takes the weight of the lure on the downward stroke of the rod tip, the handle backwinds by about a quarter turn.

It had better not be wear and tear as its 6 months old...i have a 1970's 6001 that is still going strong :)

Its not a greas problem i dont think. I looked at some american sites and it would appaer that if these reels are used for jerkbaits/heavy/water resistant lures, this is a common problem and is easily fixed..yipppeee...kind of

R

Rob Brownfield

Carl...never thought of that one..hehe. I have, but I really cant see anything wrong. The only bit i thought it could be seems ok.

David, i think you could be on to something there...

C

Charlie Bettell

This is a design problem that I informed Abu and Shimano about some years back - i.e. when they first started to use the anti backwind bearing system (Shimano call it a 'roller clutch bearing').

This can also happen on the Shimano Calcutta 251 and the Abu Suveran fixed spool reels - which has a similar anti backwind bearing system. The roller clutch bearings consist of 6-7 elongated bearings, mounted in a plastic collar.

The problem occures when over oiled, or too thick an oil is used. The problem will become more evident in cold weather conditions - i.e. when the oil thickens.

Water can penetrate behind the reel handle where the roller clutch bearing is positioned and cause it to slip.

I have two brand new, still boxed, Suveran reels that I will not even attempt to fish with - the backwind problem is that bad.

Did Abu and Shimano listen to me? Dd they hell as like.

R

Rob Brownfield

Charlie...now thats interesting, because it was a bloody cold day up here on Sunday, with a wind chill of about -7...and the problem did not surface until early afternoon...as the wind picked up and the sleet came down

i will have another look tonight..cheers

C

Charlie Bettell

What are friends for Rob.

The best way that I found to stop the problem occurring, was to keep the bearings totally oil/grease free.

Note: The problem can still occur if water manages to get to the anti backwind bearings - which is not at all dificult. They are positioned just behind the reel handle.

As water starts to freeze on the anti backwind bearings, one or two of them will often start to jamb - i.e. lock-up in the raised position, allowing the reel to backwind. This could have been what happen to you if you had been using the reel for sometime before the temperature dropped.

R

Rob Brownfield

Tried the thing last night in the house...not easy lobbing 2 oz jerkbaits up the stairs, but i could not replicate the problem...so it must be the temperature problem...which is a bit of a bugger living in the North of Scotland...maybe I should nip down to the warm and barmy Broads again..lol

T

Tim Kelly

Rob

Do as I said in the earlier post and it should cure it.

Tim

R

Rob Brownfield

Tim, thanx..I will do that before my next trip. I will also have a look at my other Abus and do the same.

Its strange how it has not happened when winching 6 oz leads back through the surf with other reels, and I fish for winter cod in far worse conditions than I should..lol

D

David Will

I heard of this problem before I bought my Suverans. I contacted ABU and the chap I spoke to admitted that in Sweden the problem had occured in early models. He assured me it is highly unlikely in our 'moderate' climate to occur here.Furthermore he said they had addressed the problem since March 2000 and any reels sold here after that date have a different oil applied. He told me to send any reels back if I encountered the problem and it would be rectified free of charge.I have not had a problem with mine nor have others I know.

R

Rob Brownfield

Mine cam from the states...$50...so I dont mind pending ?1.99 on a tube of lube :)

C

Charlie Bettell

Remember what I said about keeping the anti backwind bearings oil/greese free Rob.