Hemp

rains

Reaction score
Hi all i would like your addvice on how to cook hemp never used/fished it before and would the left over juice/water/oil be good in ground bait mix or bait flavouring.

Thanks rains

quickcedo

Reaction score
Soak for 24 hours, then boil/simmer till it splits open. Or, if you have one, about half an hour to 40 mins in a pressure cooker. The left over water can be used for gb or flavouring baits to good effect. Also good for re-hydrating Chickpeas, add a little black food dye and use as hookbait over the hemp.
To use hemp on the hook, use an 18, squeeze the spit grain so the split closes then push it onto the bend. Taking care not to cover the point.

guest61

Reaction score
Hi all i would like your addvice on how to cook hemp never used/fished it before and would the left over juice/water/oil be good in ground bait mix or bait flavouring.

Thanks rains

Cooking hemp has been covered here but when you get to use hemp; my tip would be stick with it - sometimes it takes a while to get fish going, hooking it can be a pig but the results, particularly in my local canal can be excellent.

Mark

Last edited:

mol

Reaction score
I do it the same as above and then use it quickly, if fantastic when still warm.

A few quick tips

Give it a rinse before you start to soak it
Salt seems to stop hemp from splitting, so add it once the hemp is cooked
Adding bi-carbonate of soda will make the hemp shells darker

jollyboy

Reaction score
I 3/4 fill a large flask with hemp and fill it up with boiling water out of the kettle... It stays in there for about 12 hours and comes out perfect..... I have for lager amounts done the same in a cool box and left for a little longer

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I liquidise some in the blender when it is still hot from the pan , it goes creamy and sticky , makes a nice cloudy loosefeed and fizzes away for a while.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If you want really black hemp, add an iron tablet (an ordinary dietary supplement one) to the cooking water.
However, if you do this with tares, you get black cooking water, but all the colour washes out of the tares' skins.

Anyone know a fix for this?