Birmingham Anglers Association

G

Gary Wilson

This follows on from a thread in the Barbel Fishing forum titled "Lower Severn". I am currently in a friendly dissagreement with John Williams from the BAA about a stretch of the River Severn that their web site is advertising as BAA water. When I fished it, I was greeted by an irate farmer who sent me on my way telling me the BAA hadnt had the stretch for a few years? It seems aslthough I am not alone with these BAA problems. Before I take on one of the biggest fishing clubs in the country, does anyone else have a any simelar stories, or is it just me? I have asked the BAA to enter this site and comment, but the havent. Just for info, the last e-mail I have sent to the BAA Secretary, john Williams is this:

John,

Sorry its taken a while for me to reply, I have been on holiday.

The bottom line on this is that the map on the BAA website dosent corresponde with what the local people (farmers) are saying. They are not eltting people fish those stretches. I paid a farmer 5 pounds to fish immediatly below the bridge that comes from the motorway. This, according to you, is BAA water. As I have previously mentioned, in a website (www.fishingmagic.com), in the barbel forum section, there is a thread posted called "Lower Severn". You have personally been mentioned and the BAA are getting a bit of a slating for having a bit of form as a club that are advertising waters that are not avaliable to fish. It would be good to get the views of a BAA person on the site.

Gary

P

paul williams 2

Gary,
Are you talking about the stretch of river below the M50 motorway bridge?

If so did you access via the farmers land and are you certain you fished the main river and not one of the other waterways in that area?

G

Gary Wilson

Paul,

I was definetly on the main river, fishing the stretch that is marked on the BAA map. Another bloke aswell as the farmer gave me an ear full before moving me on, saying that the BAA's lease had expired, and he was sick of telling anglers this!

captain carrott

Reaction score
they're not the only ones.

there is one club who claim the rights to a bit of land in oxfordshire which is owned by the church and allowed to be used by anyone for free.

G

Gary Wilson

Just got this message from John Williams (BAA secretary), you all might find it interesting!

Hi Gary.
Upon further investigation, it appears we have made a mistake regarding the ownership of the fishing at Bushley.
Apparently we used to own the fishing either side of the motorway bridge, but this was disposed of some years ago, however no one thought to amend our maps etc. So it looks as though your correspondents are correct and the criticism of BAA is justified. Please pass on my apologies on behalf of the Association.