They have finally succeeded.........

dezza

Reaction score
Almost 10 years ago, Bob Roberts made the following comment on this website:

"Sadly a lot of failed/bored carpers are muscling in on barbel fishing and bringing with them their peverted values."

Bob was specifically referring to the attutude many carp anglers have to species other than carp. I think he also was thinking about the methods that the carp anglers use, which came to be known as "Carbelling".

And writing in Angling Times this week, we have Steve Partner urging Trent "carbellers" to leave the carp rods at home. He says:

"With each passing year I swear angling becomes more and more one-dimensional. Take the image, featured in last week's AT of the barbel anglers, lined up with bivvies and carp rods on a stretch of the Trent. What an utterley depressing picture it was."

I agree with all the words Steve says. I often wonder what is happening to my lovely Trent when I see the yobs and the drunkards acting like ****-heads (actually they are ****heads) at some of the more popular spots along this river. There are some fisheries I will never visit again, unless a severe change in angling rules comes about.

And Bob was right.

But what do you think? Have the carp fishing yobs finally taken over?

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
No it certainly isn't mate. A hell of a lot of carp anglers are very decent people indeed. I was referring to the carp fishing yobs, of which there are a lot too many.

Last edited:
B

Berty

Carp angling has within it's ranks some outstanding anglers......but it has to be admitted that this section of our sport attracts more than it's fair share of idiots.

richiekelly

Reaction score
how do you know that the people lining the trent are ex carp anglers? they may be anglers that have seen others bivvied up and decided that this is what they want to do, its not for me but then again i no longer fish the trent, not because of bivvies i just prefer smaller rivers that require a bit more finesse than chucking big feeders into known swims which is what a lot tend to do.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Some maybe bored carp anglers but soem may be barbel anglers who have always fished this way

What about yobs who match fish -(I'm not meaning all match anglers) - scowl at you as you pass as if you were going to sneak a look at their bait or tactics

Or the yobs who turn up at a commercial and then set up in swim across from each other and shout to one another all day

there are idiot in evry form of fishing - and evry form of sport or way of life

mol

Reaction score
I hate threads like this. It's pointless whinging about how carpers have destroyed fishing. It really is delightfully easy, if you don't like that style of fishing then don't do it but don't critise somebody else's type of fishing and try to take the moral high ground based on some split cane and tweed version of fishing. It honestly reminds me of an old man, "Eee, when I was a lad....".

dezza

Reaction score
Quite a few well known and deep thinking anglers have expressed their concern that much of specimen style angling incorporating bivvies, bolt rigs, bedchairs, buzzers and boilies is responsible for the capture of a lot of big fish. Graham Marsden our Ex-Editor Emeritus has written at length on this subject in his column in the magazine "Coarse Fisherman".

I also clearly remember Des Taylor upsetting certain specimen hunters who he had seen using the infamous block end feeder double hooked paternoster bow string bolt rig on various still waters AND the River Severn whilst sleeping in their bivvies. Not only that but Peter Stone just prior to his death also viewed such methods as not being fair angling with rod and line.

Certainly the subject requires a bit more debate.

Do you think that fishing for roach particularly with such devices is fair angling?

Last edited:

rains

Reaction score
My personal feeling are this there is no need to use more then 2 rods on most still waters anything else is greedy and that is what annoys me about most carp fisherman they hog a large part of the lake then go to bed sigh i say most as not all are like that

richiekelly

Reaction score
Quite a few well known and deep thinking anglers have expressed their concern that much of specimen style angling incorporating bivvies, bolt rigs, bedchairs, buzzers and boilies is responsible for the capture of a lot of big fish. Graham Marsden our Ex-Editor Emeritus has written at length on this subject in his column in the magazine "Coarse Fisherman".

I also clearly remember Des Taylor upsetting certain specimen hunters who he had seen using the infamous block end feeder double hooked paternoster bow string bolt rig on various still waters AND the River Severn whilst sleeping in their bivvies. Not only that but Peter Stone just prior to his death also viewed such methods as not being fair angling with rod and line.

Certainly the subject requires a bit more debate.

Do you think that fishing for roach particularly with such devices is fair angling?

i see nothing wrong with fishing for roach with a bolt rig or any other fish for that matter, or using a bivvy,or using buzzers if thats what anglers want to do, i know an angler that has caught many stillwater roach over 3lbs using these tactics, some on this forum think that if they wouldnt fish like it then its wrong well it aint, if it works and its the way others want to fish its ok with me, do you think that using very heavy feeders on the trent even though they may not be fixed on the line is any different to a safe bolt rig?

quickcedo

Reaction score
Firstly Ron, perhaps 'Carp style' rather than 'Carp anglers' would have been better. We are all anglers and if a particular style is unfair then it should be banned, simple.
My personal thoughts on this style is, I've done it. So who am I to criticise? I travel, sometimes long distances to fish, so for me, at times, the bivvi offers the best answer.
My preferance would be one rod and roving, however the reallity of modern fishing is if I wanted to fish the Trent for a weekend my costs would be huge. So I too would be bivvied up and you would be looking down your nose at me too, because there is no way to seperate the masses untill after the event. When I leave your beloved Trent you wouldn't know I had been there, unfortunately some would leave a crate or two of empty beer cans.

dezza

Reaction score
No it certainly isn't mate. A hell of a lot of carp anglers are very decent people indeed. I was referring to the carp fishing yobs, of which there are a lot too many.

I repeat, there are many caring carp anglers about. There are also the yobs, and carp fishing is one aspect of angling that seems to attract a number of them.

I do a lot of fly fishing and to be honest I've never met or seen a yob in this form of angling.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
I don't think it is specific to any branch of angling Ron, just a reflection of todays society. Talking to those who trout fish the reservoirs I get the same story. Multi beach casting rods, floats as big as spods and rickety old £5 folding chairs everywhere. Northumbria Water even encourage this type of behaviour by allowing 'anglers' to fish extra rods at the back end of the seasons. Cash is King - sadly.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Nice bit of Fishing Ron !!

I will not bother with Fred, because I'm sure that any right minded Person, can see what type of person he is, knowing the person he has critised is away and cannot defend himself ?

Very Sad :(.

Bob

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Actually I like Barrie Rickards logic on fishing styles.

"It's not the method of fishing that is sporting or otherwise, it's the angler."