Bob Nudd

captain carrott

Reaction score
i am disgusted that some one of his supposed standing withn the sport can bring up such a moronic article.

i have completely lost all respect for him that i previously had.

T

Terry D

Have you thought that he just might be right. However, this is very difficult to prove without scientific evidence.
We had a pike problem on one of our waters i.e. too many jacks. We now have a rule to remove any pike under 10 pounds as we know the good that pike can do and we also know the damage that excessive predators can do. There needs to be a balance. And before you start, yes we did have a scientifice survey carried out to confirm we had too many in.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Balance is in nature and not the hand of man.

Too many pike will eventually thin themselves out with self predation, disease and loss of food supply.

it is a long cycle...If I had to cull I would drop the cull weight to 3lb at least then they would be edible.

Pakistan is over populated can I cull pakistanis?

No.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that Bob has a scientific basis to his comments?
Has a proper survey been done that warrants such remarks?

The answer, as you well know, is NO.

He has seen fit to publish anti-pike propoganda in a multi-million selling newspaper with nothing more than the results of a day's fishing to draw on as evidence.

I dread to think how much damage this will do. Pike will be killed at random by every half-wit that listens to this half-wit.

...and in time, there will be a "pike problem" in every water as a result!

W

Wolfman Woody

What is this?

Character assassination weekend?

Take a simple article in which a person expresses his opinion, blast it out of all proportion and call him an idiot.

Well done fellow anglers. You deserve a prize.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
I wonder how supportive you would be if he, or someone else, used a national newspaper to call for a ban on keep nets (including in matches)

Will Smith

Reaction score
Surely perch eat as many fish as pike but we never hear of any one wanting to cull them.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Woody.....Calm down!

Bob simply has to have what is known in Sheffield as a "good shoe-ing"

His article in the News of the world had the headline.

NOW IT'S TIME TO TAKE OUT THE PIKE

and opened with

There are too many pike in some of our rivers and they need culling

(His use of bold not mine)

I have seen a match man do a cull on one of my sections of the Trent whereby he killed a dozen fish in an hour....How many had he killed in previous sessions to that?They (the pike) where the property of all the anglers of the resident club and his selfish actions impacted on everyones sport. Whilst that chap would be tucked up snug in bed come January I and a few others like me would be blanking because of the fish that he killed in July.

It is not Bob's place to decree that we need culls

He is not mother nature and he is certainly not God

Beecy

Reaction score
too right, he certainly is not God.

he is fourth in line after Chris Waddle, Paulo di Canio & John Squire.

I

Ian Cloke

As has been said previously, the impact of this report by Bob, will not be fully seen for a few years. When the anglers take Bob at his word and cull all small pike, we will be over-run by stunted fish, diseased fish etc... Why announce in a national publication? Someone who has his experience, and has/had respect(from fellow anglers and a lot of non anglers) should have realised what would happen. If a person from Eastern Europe takes a pike to eat, there is outcry (and rightly so) but now that a cull has been "ordered" by Bob, it will be OK to throw pike up the bank????????

PAUL DOLING

Reaction score
its that time is it im sorry but ive seen a water that had a SO CALLED PIKE CULL and it destroyed what was a good fishery sorry in my oppinion if it counts for anything i dont agree in a cull and who believes what the press print i was a miner for 13 years when i lived up north and i went through a 12 month strike and saw what crap the press print sorrythat bits not really fishing but i think you get my point on that note i thank you
P.S GREAT SITE

E

Evan

Sorry Woody.

As a fan of Bob Nudd I am sorry to saythat the only person who has done any "Character assassination" is himself.

And there is a hell of a lot of difference between a quiet expression of opinion in earholing the relevant committee member of the club in question and suggesting that there are too many Pike for its own good if they expect people to pay to match fish their water and going national to millions of the great unwashed in the pages of a national rag.

PS. I am entirely with P Doling there - having some experience of these matters over the years I don't believe a thing I read in the press unless verified by affidavit countersigned by both the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Pope....

D

DAN.

if i was fishing a match and my swim was infested with pike grabbing the fish i had hooked i would have an out burst ranting that the bloody pike need sorting but an out burst is all it would be,
as for Bob nuds out burst maybe its the press using a celebs thoughts against him?
but pike are only doing what come natural
yes pike can be a real problem on some venues but pike also count in some matches dont they?
so why not try and land them instead if your having probs with them in your swim.
but if a waterway is infested like lee sead they will at some point predate each other evening the numbers!

D

DAN.

i dont condone the killing of any pike unless they are deep hooked and are bleeding resulting in certain death.
pike are there for a reason.
if you were fishing for carp and catch a tench would you kill the tench?
pike do lots of good for waters but yes they are annoying when catching silvers but thats just nature live and let live.

fred hall

Reaction score
The great man has qualified his comments re pike in today's News of the World 29/10/06.
Note - I buy the "News of the Screws" only to read Bob Nudd and the football pages!

captain carrott

Reaction score
i certainly will never buy the news of the screws.

till nudd is no longer in it.

i won't buy any angling publication with him in it either.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
The "great man's" "qualification" may have come too late. It seems the slaughter has already started.

http://pacnews.blogspot.com

Jeez, thirty years of education and co-operation down the drain. Matchfishing is obviously set against pikers now.

Maybe it's time to fight back.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

And to think that all the pioneering work that Eric Hodson, Fred Buller, Ray Webb, Hugh Reynolds and Barrie Rickards did in the early 70s may have been swept away by one stupid comment in a national newspaper.