Double Spool Reel.

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Is it just me or is this an April fool come early?

Why cannot you just swap spools as you are obviously going to have wind down to the spool to rethread your rod anyway?

As my 3 year old boy says; " What For?"

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

It could be one of these items from Tickle Tackle that we never knew we needed. Sounds like it to me.

W

Wolfman Woody

My thought exactly Nigel when I first saw it announced some months ago.

A simple idea? Not so, you need special tools to change the spool around. How simple is that?

Sorry FM, I would have given this a big fat 0.

K

Kevin Perkins * CLXXX *

Baz

TickleTackle do a product known as TwinReel, whereby you buy a reel with one spool and get a spare reel to go with it.

This, of course, allows you to continue fishing without hindrance if your reel breaks, and is far more sensible than having a twin spool, as has been so well pointed out by Nigel

B

Aaaah, I can now see where Sarika got the idea from. What a good job it was that Tickle Tackle took out a patent on their very own Twinreel model.

Then again it could just be a tax fiddle. I'll buy that for a dollar.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

What's more Kevin, if you have a spare rod aka TwinRod you can even use the TwinReel on that.

B

Hey.
Maybe this isn't sutch a bad Idea after all.
As Nigel so rightly points out. If you used the TwinRod with the TwinReel you could effectively be fishing with four rods. But you would still only need one Rod Licence.

S

Steve King

" built in double spool, the construction allows you to select between two different lines with just the one spool"

So what! You can do the same thing with a spare spool! I don't think there is much point to this...

David Barber

Reaction score
Fair points.

I did the review on this one and although I realise you?ve got to tackle down to change lines, Its a simple push of a button and it comes straight off,
taking about 10 seconds to swap the line from one breaking strain to another. So you dont actually need the special tool for changing it over.

Of course you can always carry an extra spool with you but I see the advantage with the double spool
is that you never have to worry about misplacing your spare spool because its right there directly in hand.

A lot of the time your spare spool may sit at the bottom of your carry-all risking getting mud, ground bait,
rotting pellets, old baits and what ever other nasties you have lurking down there, all over it.

This could result in the spool getting clogged, and perhaps damaging your line. The spool also comes with two,
tight fitting, plastic skirts, giving the spool and your line extra protection.

And just to keep you happy the reel comes with a spare, single, deep spool anyway! So you basically get three spools in total.

Also worth adding is that considering the price, it could be the ideal reel for those on a tight budget,
especially when bought at the special price being offered to FM members (See the article published today called 'Special Discount Offer for FM Members Only!')

The price has been offered through Tackle Frenzy for only ?19.95, which is half its RRP price. This price is only available to FishingMagic Readers. Pretty good deal I reckon.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

David, a fair defence but if your spare spool is sat on the reel then it is just as likely to get covered in c... from actual fishing as well as suffer weakening form light exposure.One to be filed alongside the Newark Needle Float methinks.

M

MarkTheSpark

I was just thinking that there may be a problem with the line from the unused spool unravelling as you use the other one. Are thje line clips any good? Or is there some other insurance policy against this happening?

It also strikes me that, if you have to push a button, remove the spool and refit it the other way up, why not just remove the spool, and fit another spool? It just doesn't seem to save much time.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yeah but if you use both spools at the same time you could catch two fish at a time!

(Don't know what happens if one fish goes one way and the other tears off in the opposite direction though!)

njb51

Reaction score
On the Sarika I was given, I have to unscrew the cap to swap the spool over. Extremely time consuming!

S

Steve King

"A lot of the time your spare spool may sit at the bottom of your carry-all risking getting mud, ground bait,
rotting pellets, old baits and what ever other nasties you have lurking down there, all over it."
so buy a kiddie's pencil case from Woolies for a couple of quid and it will keep ? a dozen spare spools clean!

Sorry David, but I think that the double spool feature is a rather pointless gimmick. The old Mitchell 300 & 410 reels used to come with a spare spool in a neat screw top case! That was class!

R

Robert Woods 1

If you use two of these reels on two rods do you need two rod licences fishing four lines...???

David Craine

Reaction score
There is nowt new in the world really, Mitchell did a very limited edition of the good old 300 with I think 3 spools one on top of the other, and an extended vertical bail arm with 3 rollers for winding in. It was designed for long distance casting, the line being wound from the bottom spool, onto the next, then up onto the top spool,but I remember reading somewhere that the owners of the reels used different line ratings on each spool for different applications..
In all it seems a waste of time, far easier to have spare spools, less mucking about I think.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone who attempts to design reels is ever going to read this, but just in case:

About 10-12% of the population is left handed.

Currently, nobody makes a reel with the rotor spinning left-to-right at the top. This is the line-lay we southpaws need, so that the line peels off onto the ball of the left index finger.

A right-handed reel with the facility to fit the handle on the wrong side is NOT ambidextrous - that means equal facility on either side. Having the line peel onto the nail-side of the finger is not facile.

10% of the market - WITH NO COMPETITION!

"Go figure"...

Fat chance.

E

Eric Hayes

I would be mad as hell if I found one never mind going out and paying ninteen quid for one, what a useless idea. I think we are now at the point where tackle manufacturers are in competition to see who can sell us the most useless products.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry, David, if all this is screwing up your chances of selling advertising, but as I said previously, they look like a complete waste of time. We do have things like reel cases, but you can always put a spare spool in a resealable plastic food bag to keep it clean.

ALSO - another point that may have escaped many. Anyone remember reels before "skirts" came out? Remember the tangles behind the spool? Remember them bringing out the chenille curtain around the spools to stop line getting behind?

What happens with this reel? Nothing to stop line getting behind this one is there? I can just see a multitude of problems for no benefit whatsoever.