MINK

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

How much of a risk are Mink to Course fish on a stillwater?
There is no doubt that they do a good job of sorting the rat population out, but sadly any water fowl also.
Once the Mink have got rid of the rats and waterfowl, would it be true to say that they will then move onto the course fish, or would they then move on to more easier pickings?

I know they are quite partial to Eels, but I?m not too sure about the likes of Roach, Tench, and Perch. Yes they will have them if they get the chance, but what are the real possibilities? What signs would you look out for?

F

Fred Bonney

I don't think they are a specific risk to coarse fish Baz,to all other forms of water life definitely.
They should be shot on sight.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Mink do not belong in this country. Shoot them on sight - horrible things.

B

That's the problem lads.
Mink will kill all forms of wildlife including voles etc.
What a pity they just couldn't stick to rat meat.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
i think we should feed mink the stupid little b s that let them out in the first place good idea or not chaps

honslow

Reaction score
They don't take a lot of fish Baz but will eat just about every other waterside creature. Voracious predator. Shoot on sight gets my vote!

B

Is there any danger of a human being attacked by Mink?

captain carrott

Reaction score
definitely, i was watching a marks brothers film the other week and dandy dinmont had one round her neck waiting to attack her, you could tell it was just biding it's time.

I

Ian Cloke

From earlier this year

Water voles in parts of East Yorkshire are being targeted by gangs of wild American mink.

The mink, which have been released or escaped from fur farms, are threatening the voles' population in Driffield.

The Yorkshire Wildlife Trust said it was monitoring the situation to protect the voles, which are said to be one of the country's most threatened mammals.

"Wherever a water vole goes a mink can follow them and unfortunately catches them and eats them," a spokesman said.

Water voles tend to live in streams, ditches and ponds on agricultural land. Although once a common sight in the countryside, their population has been in decline since the 1900s and studies have predicted they will become extinct in the UK by 2012 if more is not done to protect the species.

Anyone who spots water voles in the rivers of East Yorkshire are asked to report their sightings to the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust.

J

john ledger

Definetely foe and lets knock seven shades of shit out of him.
Sorry Baz i thought you said Monk

B

I did put MONK in the title thread John. I spotted the mistake just before I pressed the send button. Pheeew. O is next to the I on the keyboard (all looking now eh?) Maybe I should have left it.

M

MarkTheSpark

If ever there was an animal deserving of being made into a fur coat, it was the mink.

They cause serious damage to water vole populations, and attack most waterfowl.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
fantastic industrious hard working animal!

unfortunatly they do not belong here...They do too much damage to aquatic environs just like other immigrants such as Poles and Latvians

F

Fred Bonney

I had one stand up on it's hind legs to threaten me once Baz,a mink that is ;o)
It was shepherding 4 youngsters along the GU canal towpath behind my seat.
It didn't stay long though... when I stood up to my full height.
Not been given the same treatment by eastern europeans ..yet!

W

Wolfman Woody

You shouldn't raise issues like this in a public forum.

You'll have all the morons around Rotherham throwing them up the bank from now on.

(said tongue in cheek)

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Years ago the lock keeper at Brownshill staunch on the middle Ouse kept horses. He also kept a small hay stack on the middle of the lock. He stuck a pitchfork into the hay and a Mink shot out and latched onto his son next to some valuble assetts [sharp intake of breath] and wouldn't let go. The lock keeper shot the mink with a 12 bore while the mink was still attached to the tender spot. The boy survived the mink died infact there wasn't much left of it.

Colin

Colin

Colin Brett

Reaction score
It seems with the spread of Otters, Mink are moving out fast. The Otter is much bigger and will not tolerate Mink on its patch.

Colin

B

Interesting Colin. Maybe that is why the Mink are appearing more and more in the North.