Pike fishing at Grafham Water

david_r

Reaction score
Hi,

Want to have a bash at boat fishing for pike at Grafham water. This will be a first for me (from a boat!).

Would you recommend an echo finder as a vital piece of equipment for the day? We can purchase maps that give the depths; but would it be much more productive for finding underwater features and shoal fish?

If so, is there anywhere you can hire them from? (we're based in the outskirts of Cambridge)

Any other thoughts, advice and tips for boat fishing for pike, and/or taking on Grafham water?

Thanks,
David.

C

Chris Bishop

Fish somewhere a bit less daunting from a boat than a large trout reservoir first.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
There are Pike in Grafham!!

Finding them can be a problem.

An echo sounder won't find them.

It will show you features, and you may find fish near those features. Whether they will be Pike who knows.

I'd advise going on a weekday if possible, that way you can possibly get to fish near the Aeration tower and the pipeline that runs eastwards from it. The sounder would be of use finding the pipe.
Also try Savages Creek, [what's left of it] as the levels are low. AW are pumping hard at present so the levels are rising around a foot a week.
There are some cracking Perch in Grafham at present well worth a try.

Don't know of anywhere you can hire a Fish finder. Try EBAY to buy one S/H.

Good luck,

Colin

david_r

Reaction score
Hi,

Yep! Apparently some very nice pike and zander.

I wasn't going to use the echo finder to find pike! only to determine the layout under the water, looking for features as you've mentioned.

Thanks for the input.

Dave.

ingy

Reaction score
is it still open for pike fishing few only a few weeks every season or has that rules changed now

Dave German

Reaction score
Having looked at the rules for the pike fishing, is there anything to stop you buying a normal day ticket and using large flies for pike at any time during the year.

S

Sean Meeghan

Nope. There's nothing to stop you doing that in fact Nigel Savage, the warden at Rutland does that a lot. They sell pike flies in the lodge and they may even do a pike ticket, but I'm not sure if thats a year round thing or not.