dynamite 8mm halibut pellets

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been using 6mm soft hooker pellets for bait with good success. Today I bought a pack of 8mm dynamite halibut pellets to use on the hook. The pellets are solid - can they be soaked to soften for the hook?

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies - I've just put a few to soak, if they soften up ok then I will hook them if not then I'll use them with bands or hair rig them

sam vimes

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies - I've just put a few to soak, if they soften up ok then I will hook them if not then I'll use them with bands or hair rig them

George,
they may well soften in water but they're also likely to start to break down. If you try to get a hook in them they are likely to split and break apart. It sound like you've inadvertently bought standard halibut feed pellets which aren't meant to be hooked. You could band them or very carefully drill them to fish on a hair. Anything else is likely to prove difficult or even fruitless.

Reaction score
If you find drilling them for the hair a bit futile...you can also super-glue a couple either side of the hair.

Actually worth trying super-gluing a line of smaller pellets to a hair...just something different for the fish. In much the same way as I tend to use 10mil boilies on waters that normally see plenty of 15mil

Last edited:

rains

Reaction score
Are these pellets any good what type of still water fish would eat them and are the soft hook ones anygood

Reaction score
After an overnight soak I had a go at hooking them and as had been said they crumbled and fell apart. They sink quickly so will be good as loose feed. I will have a go at drilling and hair rigging them though - I reckon they will be a good hooker when used with smaller pellets as feed

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
After an overnight soak I had a go at hooking them and as had been said they crumbled and fell apart. They sink quickly so will be good as loose feed. I will have a go at drilling and hair rigging them though - I reckon they will be a good hooker when used with smaller pellets as feed
As I thought, they're feeder pellets, but you could use them in a band. Drilling them, you'd have to be very very careful indeed not to split them, but....

You can buy a pack of pellets now in a selection of different sizes and even colours/flavours and all PRE-DRILLED! Well, they probably come out of the mold like that, but they are sized down to about 8mm and very versatile. I think it Cotswold Baits who do them, I bought some but transferred them to a square snap-lid storage box as it fits my bag better.

john1981

Reaction score
pre drilled red robins 8mm ive been doing well with them lately better than halibut pellets

Reaction score
Right guys, thought I'd report back on my usage of the pellets. On the weekend I used them banded on the method feeder and was pleased to get fish with no problems. Today I used them banded on the pole, size 12 and 10 hooks and was really frustrated to lose 5 fish off the hook. Perhaps try a size 8 with them but I dont really want to go that big in case I spook them. Definately going to keep going with them though.

rains

Reaction score
I bought some 8mm hali pettets and tryed drilling them they crack lol so i used my drimmel worked a treat

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
you can now buy pre-drilled dynamite halibut pellets or try sonubaits hali-hookers, they are superb! use your hard pellets for feed...they are a real bagger to drill!

mark