depth of weed/silt

ALAN PALMER 2

Reaction score
I often read or hear anglers talk about adjusting your terminal tackle to depth of weed or silt you are fishing over which all makes sense; but what I dont understand is exactly how the hell does one find out how deep the weed or silt is without actually going out there yourself?
Is there a simple explanation for this?

T

The Monk

you can usually get an idea by leading about and watching for line discolouration, if you are really serious about your fishing, you will swim out and test it of course, some fish finders will give some indication of silt content, you can also use a dingy and pole in the shallower waters. some areas of a lake are likely to silt up in certain areas, feeder streams etc usually distrobute particulate breakdowns and distrobute them accordingly

ALAN PALMER 2

Reaction score
Thanks for that but still a tad confused about the weed issue, how do you know if its 6" thick or only 3" thick?

T

The Monk

a fish finder would give you some indication, or basically just try to test it with a lead. if you have ever swim in weedy water you will find with the exception of floating weed types, most weed stemms from the lake bed and there are usually clear bits and paths under neath, imagine looking down on a forest from a plane, it looks pretty dense from up there, but anyone walking beneath the canopy will have plenty of space to walk, do you intend fishing into the weed or below it/

ALAN PALMER 2

Reaction score
I want to fish into the weed which covers the lake bed with varying degrees of depth. In the margins it can be anything from 2" to over a foot.If I used a pva stick to mask the hook this would stop it getting caught up but would the presentation be all "to cock"??