Five unlicensed fishermen go fishing and land ?850 fine

I

Ian Cloke

Five unlicensed fishermen picked up a total of ?850 in fines and costs this week, in prosecutions brought by Environment Agency Wales. A day licence to fish for non-migratory trout, char, freshwater fish (coarse fish) and eels costs just ?3.25.

At Aberdare Magistrates' Court yesterday (18 October), the following all pleaded guilty to fishing without a licence at Llwyn-Onn Reservoir on 30 April 2006. They were fined ?100 each and were ordered to pay ?70 each in costs.

Morgan Adams of Alexandra Place, Abercynon, Andrew George of Hopkin Street, Treherbert, James Leahy of Salisbury Road, Abercynon, Jason Porter of Bryn Road, Markham, Blackwood & Kerry Ryder of Park View, Bargoed.

Following the cases an Agency spokesperson commented: 'The income from rod licence sales is re-invested in improvements to fisheries. Those who seek to avoid paying for a licence are depriving their fellow anglers of this much-needed income. Our enforcement officers will continue to carry out checks, and we will prosecute offenders as necessary.'

Fishing without a licence is an offence under Section 27(a) of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975.

Editors note:

An Agency rod licence is required if you fish for freshwater fish, eels, trout or salmon in England or Wales and are 12 years old or older.This is in addition to the permit to fish, which the angler buys from the owner of the fishery.

Rod licences can now be obtained by phone - ring 0870 166 2662 (for details see rod licence advert); from the web site www.environment-agency.gov.uk/fish ; or from any post office.

P

Phil Hackett The original disability bad speller w

Serve em? right ??.Freeloading bar stewards!

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Totally agree, I mean it's so easy here in the UK to get a rod licence...back on my home planet(germany) you have to set a test(i.e knowing your fish,how to unhook etc) in order to get a licence.

L

Les Clark

Not fined enough , should have been the max ?2500 !
Each !

S

Scott Whatmore

Feed em to the dogs, freeloading so and so's...!

Well done the EA.