Has Your Fishing Changed? And Why?

Simon K

Reaction score
I see a lot of posters state that they were (for example) a Match Fisherman then they switched to............barbel/Specimen/Pleasure etc.

How many of you have changed your overall fishing pattern through your fishing "lifetime" and what made it happen?

For myself, I was a very occasional (once or twice a year :)) pleasure angler for many years on borrowed gear until I found the time and the will available to plunge in and join the fun of learning. At the time of life many of you will, no doubt, have been honing your angling skills I was busy writing, performing and producing music, my other great passion.
Wanting to fish had always been with me since being a young lad, but I never had a mentor at that time. To this day I still have no idea what sparked my interest in fishing since none of my family or friends did, but it was difficult to pursue this on your own at 9 years old with little information or encouragement!

Within a couple of years of starting properly (and having surprised myself by catching some good fish on more "traditional" methods ;)) I met some guys who had the Specimen Hunter mentality and I decided that was really what my attitude and temperament was tuned to and so was invited to join a Specimen Group and have felt comfortable with that ever since.

Very simple story compared to some of you, I'm sure?

A

alan whittington

As a lad i fished canals and the Ouse at Bedford,one day i was waiting for a bus to go on the canal(a 17 year old by then),when the match secretary of Luton a.c. stopped his car and asked if i'd like to fish a club match,i did,finished just out of the money and that started my match fishing,i got trawled by Vauxhall a.c.,who were the best club team locally and we won all the leagues going,i then got sniffed out by the Blackhorse match group and went further,i fished national champs with Vauxhall and Luton & district aa in divisions 1,2 and 3,in the meantime winning opens on many different rivers and canals,stillwaters etc,but i still kept pleasure fishing,i loved barbel fishing and went to the H.Avon every year for my hols,the match fishing bug left,when certain well known anglers attitudes,went below my own moral standpoint,so i left Blackhorse and fished with Fairlands match group(with little success i might add) and then i went on a pleasure fishing spree,enjoying success on most venues,until now,when i struggle to catch a fish,on venues that i love,amen.
P.S. Thats not including a spell of fly fishing for trout(which i enjoyed and was quite successful)and sea fishing,mainly beach,but boat also,with equally good results at times.

Last edited:

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I've fished for nearly 40 years. In that time I've tried pretty well every discipline, with varying success.

It's very simple for me now. If a species/ fishery/ method provides a challenge I'm interested whether that's catching moderate chub from a river that was once an industrial sewer, or above average roach from a clear reservoir. Winkling out a few trout from small streams on the upstream dry always proves to be a challenge. As does catching decent perch on jigs.

I guess that my fishing has changed in that I'm less focused on an individual species and/or method. The weather and season decides where I go and how I fsh.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My fishing constantly changes and it's all the better for it. The only thing I can't ever see me doing again is getting involved in match fishing. I'm just as happy on a commercial as I am on a river or more natural stillwater. I'll chase whatever is available to me. In the last few years that's meant barbel, chub and big gravel pit perch. A mate has got a bee in his bonnet for carping at the moment so, recently, I've done a little of that too. Realistically, I'll do pretty much any type of fishing. While I may get preoccupied with a certain discipline or species from time to time I never do one thing to the exclusion of all others.

ravey

Reaction score
Like you, Simon, I think fishing has been 'in' me since childhood. I used to go pond-dipping with a friend when I lived in Stockport, catching newts, toads etc. Natural history has always fascinated me for as long as I can remember, and continues to do so.

Proper 'fishing' seemed to be a natural extension of the exploring done as a youngster, but again like you, there were no mentors; none of my family or other friends were in the least bit interested. My friend and I sort of muddled our way along, and I can remember virtually all of one long summer break from school focused on just catching 'something'. I can still remember the day I finally managed to catch a fish, and the awful gear used: solid glass 'spinning' rod of just five foot long, Intrepid Black Prince, 4.4lb Bayer Perlon, a white celluloid 'night float' with a luminous tip (not sure why - it was a hot sunny day!), a bulk of No4 shot and a heavy forged eyed size 16 hook tied direct. Bait was double yellow maggot, with an assortment of colours kept in a tobacco tin. Looking back, I reckon I could have used those maggots to rub out pencil they were that rubbery.

There were no established commercial fisheries as such, although I remember 'Roman Lakes' in nearby Marple was rumoured to be a place where anyone could catch. However, at £1 a day to fish, it was beyond my pocket, and quite a distance to travel by bus. In the piscatorial desert that was the north west at that time (late seveties), my fishing was restricted to Poynton Pool, a large reservoir (Combs), and the Macclesfield Canal at High Lane and elsewhere. Travel by bus was the only way we could get there without resorting to pestering our parents for a lift in the car.

My first fish was a quarter pound perch taken on the gear mentioned at Poynton Pool. I knew from that point on, having felt the electrifying pulse of a real fish on the end of the line, I would always be an angler. I followed it up with a 1lb 2oz roach (weighed on Little Samsons) later in the same day, having changed float to a yellow-topped porcupine quill that I could barely make out in the sunset glare and evening ripple facing me.

I always enjoyed reading fishing books, and I devoured everything I could get my hands on at the local library. Much of it was not really applicable to the sort of fishing available to me, and was about the Hampshire Avon etc. The 'breakthrough' came when I read Ivan Marks' book on matchfishing. Although I had been improving steadily, the information in that book was a proper turbo-boost in terms of my improvement; I still think that it is one of the best books written on angling. Whilst the venues were still alien to me (Witham, Trent, Nene, Welland etc), the techniques covered were much more relevant. With a better sense of direction, I went about acquiring some more suitable gear...

However, a change in my dad's job meant a move to Nottinghamshire in the summer of 1980. As a 15 year old, I struggled with this - living in a different area, and deteriorating academically at a new school. I did try the Trent on one occasion, but it was in flood at the time (I was completely out of my depth on such a venue, and did not even realise that rivers flooded - I thought it was like this all the time :eek:). Salvaging what I could of my education, the distraction of girls, and then getting a job sidelined the fishing. A developing interest in motorbikes delayed any return to angling for some considerable time as well.

A change of job in 1989 saw me sharing an office with a lad who invited me to fish the Trent at Fiskerton with him that same year. I bought my first carbon rod in anticipation, and did some reading in preparation. I added a set of stick floats and other items to supplement what I still had of my fishing gear. This outing, and a further two with the same lad in the summer, saw me getting a total of three 'fishing lessons' on the Trent. Whilst weights were low (he caught roughly 7 pounds of fish on each session after work, to my 3 - 5 pounds in short afternoon/evening sessions), he clearly outclassed me in terms of skill and expertise. That was hard for me to take. I have read somewhere about Izaak Walton being envious not of people living better than him, but catching more fish; I can relate to that, and it was exactly how I felt.

The experience that summer aggravated a competitiveness in me I was not aware of, and I resolved to 'correct' the state of affairs without delay! All annual leave was given over to practise and more practise. This led to an improvement in ability on a par with the turbo-charging experience mentioned above. The drive to fish was all-consuming. The downside was that during this time, club and open matches dominated weekends - to the point that it became virtually impossible to get a peg on the river. It was this, and the awakened competitive streak in me that led to me fishing my first club match at Burton Joyce. This happy state of affairs started to sour in the season of 1991/2 when the Trent deteriorated suddenly and inexplicably. I still fished club matches right up until the 1996/7 season (when the river seemed to recover considerably), with the odd open, and I also fished for another club in their Nationals. I also met a good friend during the 1990s, a man who was ace at catching roach on the float. He became my mentor. Jim Terry, I'll thank you again now! However in 1997, redundancy meant re-skilling, with a spell at college in the autumn of 1997 and then uni, followed by getting a new job (I abstained from all fishing during college/uni - it would have been too distracting, and there was too much at stake). Family followed in 2003 (and 2006!). I did not realise how this would affect my anticipated return to the banks!

Sadly, match fishing seems to have died on the river, and my mentor moved back up to Yorkshire. I had hoped to pick up where I had left off, but the lack of matches, and a shift in my local club's emphasis from river to carp venues led to a lack of interest in their matches on my part. I still pleasure fish the Trent, but the intensity of before is not there without the matches (or even a bit of peg-to-peg competition):(.

My attentions now are focused perhaps more on variety - fishing for perch on the Trent and the Erewash Canal, winters spent chubbing, float fishing for roach in the summer/autumn etc. There is a new lad at work who has started to take an interest in the 'angle'. This has given a bit more purpose to my angling, as well as some much-missed comany. I am finding it rewarding to act as a mentor, and my enthusiasm is returning. It is satisfying to be able to put something back. Anyway, enough about me; over to you lot..!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Simon,

I think your angling changes throughout your life.

I started off at a local water fishing with the lad, next door but one.

I caught all the usual things you expect to catch as a 7/8year old, fishing with a Tank Aerial and a cheap centrepin.

Perch, Gudgeon, Goldfish (dumped by the Fair) the odd Roach and that was about it !

To get to this Pond I fished, I had to walk past the Warren Pond, where I use to see these strangely dressed Hippy Types, fishing Split Cane Rods and Up to date Fixed Spool ( I later found out they were Ambidex 4s).

Flicking bits of Crust into tiny holes in the weed, I watched in wonder as these Older Boys and Men, caught huge Carp way beyond my expectations.

Anyway at about 12 years old, me and my mate got chatting to some of these lads and the Mould was cast, I had become a Specimen Hunter.

Fishing by the seasons, for whatever was regarded as in season.

Of course I have fished, like that more or less ever since, changing species as the fancy takes me.

Up until 18 months ago when I had a Triple Bypass, now I'm a Noddy, struggling with the tablets I'm suppose to take and fishing Noddy waters for Pastie Carp !!

Life can be a Bitch !!

:)

Bob

wdd1200

Reaction score
I started fishing with my Dad as a keen 5 year old, as a kid I could never keep away from water so fishing became the obvious thing to do once I was old enough to thread a worm.
Dad was a very keen Tench and Barbel angler, but he would happily fish for all the other species, including Trout and Salmon when he could afford to get away for a few days, so as a child I was exposed to a very varied selection of quarry, but of all the fish that swim the one fish that Dad had an all consuming passion for was Big Roach.
In his opinion these were the most difficult of all to catch and the most rewarding once caught and he would change his plans in an instant if the conditions were to favour the slightest chance of a big one.

Dad made me fish with a centre pin for several years on the basis that:-

“If you can master that, then fishing with a fixed spool will be easy!”

I’m not sure that is strictly true but I will be forever in his debt for ensuring that I can fish with a pin without a thought when others find it such a difficulty.
My recollections of my childhood seems now to be a constant round of fishing for whatever was in season, shooting whenever I could afford the pellets (later cartridges) or just simply being out there in the wild, I admit I was very lucky with many similarities between myself and Jim from Bernard Venables Mr Crabtree’s books.

My Father had an older friend named Mac, Mac was a disagreeable old ******, but a master float fisher, Mac would tell my Mum:-

“I’m going fishing and if the boy wants to go then tell him to stand by your front gate at 6am and I will take him out”.

I had to be there ready with my gear, if I wasn’t, Mac would drive past without a thought.
Mac was a Thames angler, a genius with Hempseed for Roach and Dace and a man to whom watercraft was almost second nature, the fact that he seemed to have an everlasting contempt for his fellow man, did not worry him at all, as in his opinion there was no point in speaking to anyone, the funny thing was I got on very well with Mac which amazed everyone who knew him.
What I learned from Mac was immense and has stood me in good stead for most of my life, Dad taught me how to catch big fish, but Mac put the polish on my knowledge and also earned me a lot of cash when I took to match fishing.

In my late teens I started to fish for Carp, mainly because these large elusive fish were supposed to be un catchable, we now know this is to be not true but at the time Carp were the fish to go for.
Like many others I played around with bait and rigs and eventually I caught a Common Carp of 27lb 10oz from a Colne Vally Lake, I think the current term is Guesting on a water that is now quite famous.

A trip to Canada produced more double figure carp in a week than I had caught in the previous three seasons and effectively ended my Carp fishing because the following week I discovered Steelheads and Chinooks.

At the time I was working in a tackle shop just to help out, I had worked there from the age of eleven, mostly making Tea, pouring Whisky and measuring out maggots, at the time our Maggot supplier was Arthur Cove, Arthur offered to show me how to fly fish on the reservoirs (I had fished for trout often with my Dad, but he was a Worm man), Arthur was a great teacher and for about 8 years I fished almost only with a fly for Trout.

The next big change was when my Daughter was born, I did not think it was fair to fish ALL weekend, so I needed to be able to fish and help at home, match fishing seemed to be the answer, so for the next 15 years I fished matches, Winter league, Opens, Division 1 National Championships, DFDS/Scandinavian Seaways, I fished them all, but suddenly the lure of fishing as my father did all those years ago came upon me.

I seem now to have gone full circle, now I fish season by season, Big Roach when they are at their best, Misty mornings for Tench and Late season Barbel, when they are at their biggest, the only difference is that now I help to run one of the most successful clubs in the South of England, it was time to give something back and I hope I am doing that, I still very much enjoy my fishing, but now I am not quite so single minded, so I do all of it whenever I can.

Tight Lines Chaps.

Reaction score
Why did I move on from my little local club and the camaraderie of the weekly match and the charabanc trips.....and my role as secretary

Simples...whilst, how can I put this discretely, deeply and passionately engaged with my then significant other was disturbed by knocking on bedroom window (ground floor flat)...the romance rapidly dwindled as two gurning faces appeared enquiring if they could have a guest ticket for their mate....now. They got a two word response. Next club meeting they complained aloud about my behaviour. Told them that my initial response held and thanks to them the club better look for a new secretary from that moment on!!

I've not fished a match since, never even considered any form of office in another club. Avoided incestuous small clubs,for years fished on my own....and its only through FM and another site (you know who you are) that I have rediscovered the delights of fishing with like-minded company.

Simon K

Reaction score
pouring Whisky and measuring out maggots,

QUOTE]

Aha. Subtley embedded, your secret "attractor" is out! :)

Although I thoroughly enjoyed my music years (and wouldn't change them) I do envy those of you who had mentors from an early age to give you the time, through your lives, to do so much varied fishing and collect such wonderful experience.

My father said he only ever fished once with a friend when he was young, (with a float) and caught a small roach, but never carried on.

Reaction score
Like you Simon I didn't have any mentors as a young un....what has given a lot of pleasure is that my younger son, who fished with me a little as a kid but was less keen than his older brother, seems to have got the bug again and now fishes quite regularly...interestingly he's still borrowing my gear, using up all my shot/hooks/ breaking my nets..just like he did as a kid...but he's 23 now!!!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Some of you on here will know my story. It started on the Moy in Ireland, grew on the flashes, ponds and canals of the North West and then matured on a huge variety of waters from small Nene backwaters to the wild lochs of Scotland via the huge inland seas of the the US and Canada.

Now I'm not driven by numbers, but by change and challenge. I'm happy (ish) not to catch as long as I'm out there fishing and just appreciating beautiful places.

A

alan whittington

I learnt by watching anglers that caught the fish i aspired to,taught myself to cast,thats all forms of casting,learnt my way of playing fish,which after several years i went on an angling course with the late great Ivan Marks and found i'd taught myself the same method he and Roy Marlow used(that was in the days of poor drags),fishing is more satisfiying when you sort it out yourself,some things just are'nt viable to do so.:w

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]As I’ve stated in a previous thread I was fortunate enough to have a father who was a keen angler, also the River Lea in Broxbourne running past our back garden up to the age of four, 1952. Then moved to Ruislip, the Colne Valley and River Colne on our doorstep, and evolved through the Colne, Kennet, Loddon, Mole, Ember, Cherwell, Great Ouse, Dorset Stour, Hampshire Avon and of course the Thames, Severn and Wye. Still waters - Wraysbury 1 & 2, Kingsmead, Broadwater, Burghfield Lake, Frimley 1,2, & 3, The Yately Complex, etc. Has my fishing changed and why? – Yes it has, I have a CV of PB’s with which I am comfortable with and, now retired I have more time at my disposal although I chose to fish usually twice a week. At the moment (apart from trips to the Colne and Loddon – I need my river fix) I am currently alternating between a local estate lake (for the big tench – I’ll never get tired of catching them) and a small field pond that has been a complete eye opener chasing the unknown. So far this year - roach to 1lb 10oz, perch to nudging 4lb, plus crucians and tincas to, 1lb 14oz and 3ib 1oz – hardly Marsh Farm standards (and apart from possibly perch nothing to remotely challenge my PB’s) but, IMO, great fun on light tackle and you never know what to expect next – and it certainly won’t be another angler. :w[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jerry[/FONT]

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now what was that "classic" - truly great, as opposed to mere hack-designated Classic - album of the the 1960s by Arthur Lee and his band named Love...?

Got it.

Forever Changes.

Only way to go (in fishing and in other stuff).

PS - Here's Lee live at the Royal Festival Hall in 2003 not long before his untimely death from cancer - ‪Arthur Lee and Love - Forever Changes Concert (Alone Again Or & A House is Not a Motel)‬‏ - YouTube

Listen to the whole album sometime, and to its great final track, an anthem for life (and for fishing and all sorts of other stuff), You Set The Scene...

chav professor

Reaction score
fished since I was 3 with my Dad. most of my early fishing evolved round fishing into a Mill pond where the fish were often clearly visible. this still has a big impact on my fishing today - I love to watch fish (spend more time watching than fishing under the guise of taking the dog for a walk).

Started off learning how to use floats on rivers etc. becoming aware of the limitations of a float fished presentation in crystal clear conditions led to learning how to free line baits in the summer (and winter) for a variety of river species.

NB: I find on faster flowing rivers like the Hampshire Avon, fish are less spooked by the float - perhaps the faster flow is like living in the fast lane; their Suffolk cousins that live in slower flowing rivers get eons to inspect every thing about the bait before it reaches them.....

In my late twenties started fishing lakes in the ultra-modern specimen hunting style and caught plenty of very nice fish - a bream of 11lb 2oz that in those days was massive springs to mind (still approach lake in much the same way these days). Still to catch a double figure tench..... The only thing was that permanently watching buzzers and bobbins and getting paranoid over hook presentations took its toll on my enjoyment. Got back into rivers, surprised myself with what i was catching, joined a specimen group.

To date, fishing with other highly motivated individuals who have 'upped' their game has had the biggest impact.

Still think you can't beat seeing a fish pick a bait up and its reaction - plus is makes you think about how to approach a river when you can't actually see them. Observation leads to more fish banked and throws up the odd surprise........

Pike......... in a chub swim...........

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:30 ----------

biggippingpike019.jpg

wdd1200

Reaction score
Hi Simon

I have no secrets mate, there may be some secrets but I don’t have them!

As I said I worked in a tackle shop, it was Chubbs of Edgware owned by Fred Buller the famous Pike angler, I started when I was about 11.
The then manager John Drewitt (now owner of Woody’s of Wembley) must have gotten fed up with this nosey youngster who spent every Saturday (after his milk round), in the shop, eventually he told me to make tea or do the maggots or anything as long as it was useful, within weeks the milk round was dumped and I worked in there most evenings and all day Saturday helping with bait (maggots and casters), serving in the shop and learning a lot.

Fred was at the time a well known angler and he had a number of friends that were also well known anglers, people like:- **** Walker, Peter Stone, Fred J Taylor (who was our Efgeeco rep) and his brother Ken (I liked Ken a lot) Peter Thomas (who landed ****’s Carp Clarissa and was our Hardy and Taylor and Johnson rep and taught me to cast a double handed Salmon fly rod) and many others would also drop in like Jack Hilton and Bill Keel and as I have already mentioned Arthur Cove (responsible for the Cove Pheasant tail nymph and author of the definitive “My way with trout” a true gentleman and superb angler).

Happily I met them all and fished with some of them, one evening we were filling small bottles with “Permaflote” a fly floatant that Fred and **** had devised and was made by a chemist Arnold Neave of Hitchin), Permaflote was bottled by myself and Keith Sellick (who later ran Middlesex Angling Centre before his un-timely death by drowning on Savay Lake on May 1st1994), Keith and I would fill the bottles from an optic, label them and screw in the bottle top, this was a fill in job that earned Keith and I some extra pocket money, one day **** told us that if we finished 7,000 bottles for a large order for Norway by Friday he would take us fishing on Sunday, we rushed like mad and fished with **** Walker on the Ouse at Buckingham the following Sunday AND **** cooked us breakfast!

Keith and I fished with **** on several more occasions, one such time he arrived at Stanmore Common Lakes in his suit, took his jacket off and got on his hands and knees to collect Caddis Grubs so that we could catch Tench, this is a memory I shall always cherish!

I must admit **** has had a bit of bad press over the years for one reason and another but the fact that he was willing to give some of his time to show a snotty nosed kid how to fish made him a thorough gentleman in my eyes.

Tight Lines chaps!

Simon K

Reaction score
My first part-time job was in a fish n chip shop in Wanstead. After 3 months of scrubbing fish, adding a horrible smelling chemical to peeled spuds and opening huge cans of pickled gherkins which used to spray out over my clothes, I handed in my notice, dug a hole, buried my coat and took up creosoting fence boards for my dad.

I always was a slow learner? :rolleyes: :)

richiekelly

Reaction score
Hi Simon

I have no secrets mate, there may be some secrets but I don’t have them!

As I said I worked in a tackle shop, it was Chubbs of Edgware owned by Fred Buller the famous Pike angler, I started when I was about 11.
The then manager John Drewitt (now owner of Woody’s of Wembley) must have gotten fed up with this nosey youngster who spent every Saturday (after his milk round), in the shop, eventually he told me to make tea or do the maggots or anything as long as it was useful, within weeks the milk round was dumped and I worked in there most evenings and all day Saturday helping with bait (maggots and casters), serving in the shop and learning a lot.

Fred was at the time a well known angler and he had a number of friends that were also well known anglers, people like:- **** Walker, Peter Stone, Fred J Taylor (who was our Efgeeco rep) and his brother Ken (I liked Ken a lot) Peter Thomas (who landed ****’s Carp Clarissa and was our Hardy and Taylor and Johnson rep and taught me to cast a double handed Salmon fly rod) and many others would also drop in like Jack Hilton and Bill Keel and as I have already mentioned Arthur Cove (responsible for the Cove Pheasant tail nymph and author of the definitive “My way with trout” a true gentleman and superb angler).

Happily I met them all and fished with some of them, one evening we were filling small bottles with “Permaflote” a fly floatant that Fred and **** had devised and was made by a chemist Arnold Neave of Hitchin), Permaflote was bottled by myself and Keith Sellick (who later ran Middlesex Angling Centre before his un-timely death by drowning on Savay Lake on May 1st1994), Keith and I would fill the bottles from an optic, label them and screw in the bottle top, this was a fill in job that earned Keith and I some extra pocket money, one day **** told us that if we finished 7,000 bottles for a large order for Norway by Friday he would take us fishing on Sunday, we rushed like mad and fished with **** Walker on the Ouse at Buckingham the following Sunday AND **** cooked us breakfast!

Keith and I fished with **** on several more occasions, one such time he arrived at Stanmore Common Lakes in his suit, took his jacket off and got on his hands and knees to collect Caddis Grubs so that we could catch Tench, this is a memory I shall always cherish!

I must admit **** has had a bit of bad press over the years for one reason and another but the fact that he was willing to give some of his time to show a snotty nosed kid how to fish made him a thorough gentleman in my eyes.

Tight Lines chaps!

smashing post zanderman.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I started pleasure fishing using match techniques and in reality I have tended to maintain this style but targeting bigger than average fish of each specific species.