Charlie Bettell - confidence rig

C

Chris Bishop

I've sen this described in a mag the other week, how does it work out of interest..?

I know you use it on the Yare, I'm thinking of trying a couple of tidal rivers up here but have never done too well on them, I suspect because I just tried to fish them the same as non-tidals.

C

Charlie Bettell

I am a bit reluctant at present to talking about the rig - for fear of it being too successful (!)

All will be revealed in due course.

Today, a client of mine caught 3 20lb plus pike, in 7 hours, using the confidence rig.

See esox.co.uk/pikefishing2000/new_page_15.htm

C

Chris Bishop

What I was wondering was whether the two bullets on the boom tube act as a bolt rig effect and how you tension the float to register a take before the fish swallows the bait down.

C

Charlie Bettell

I no longer use the two bullet system - I now use 1.5oz Fox quick change weights.

As for how I detect, often very lethargic, bites, that's the bit that I am reluctant to talk about at present.

All will be revealed in due course.

C

Chris Bishop

Short trace and tighten down well, I suppose. There was a similar rig around years ago when ET first brought comet leads out, but this was for distance fishing from the bank.

Last time I went past you your floats were lying flat on the surface, so I presumed they skated along the top when you got one on.

C

Charlie Bettell

"Last time I went past you your floats were lying flat on the surface, so I presumed they skated along the top when you got one on."

It depends greatly on the bite.

P

Peter Waller

I would guess this 'confidence' rig is very similar to Stret Pegging, as shown in John Wilsons Coarse Fishing Method Manual page 91. If, as Charlie appears to suggest, it helps prevent hook damage, then the sooner he comes clean the better.

A

Andy Doughty

'I am a bit reluctant at present to talking about the rig - for fear of it being too successful (!)'

If a rig is in the water and not detecting a bite properly then it is putting the fish at risk. Surely it would be better for the welfare of the fish if details of any 'fish-safe' rigs were made public. By all means keep quiet about the rig when testing it and making refinements, but as soon as you know that the rig works then give the world some details.

The comment from Charlie is very much in the same ilk as the zed-heads around this neck of the woods. 'I`m catching fish, but dont want anybody else to catch.' This is so bad that some zander anglers will not reel in a rig if you are watching for fear of you seeing the bait they are on and the set-up thay are using.

W

Wilson Marshall

As usual charlies imagination is running away with him,confidence rig i don,t think so,pike fishing rigs are forever basic.

P

Paul Williams

Charlie,
Are you saying that your customer caught the pike because of the rig, or was he in the right place???

G

Gary Knowles

Is this 'amazing' rig called what it is because it gives the angler confidence or the pike - if its the former, fair enough, if its the latter then it must be just be a free roving livebait - they seem pretty confident to me when they hit one of them !!!

P

Peter Waller

Seems our Charlie, bless 'im, has gone to earth. I wonder why?

R

Rob Brownfield

its not fair...I can't get involved with this discussion..grrrrrrrrr

W

Wilson Marshall

Charlies probably too busy boating the sixth 30 pounder in a 2 hour session for a client to be bothered with our nonsense.Either that his bluff has been called.Just as an aside whats the best technique for positioning your own lures in a pikes face in order to make people believe its been genuinly been caught on said lure and not livebait?,i have probs with hooking the pike around the eye area when it decides to thrash around?,thanks.

C

Charlie Bettell

Have been busy of late, but after reading the rubbish prior to this posting, I'm not going to waste my time responding.

P

Peter Waller

Pity, if Charlie really is as concerned for the welfare of pike as perhaps he would like us to believe, then I would have thought he would have promoted safe hooking as a matter of FACT!!