Help required

M

Mark Watson

Hi all,
I am new to FM, and am looking for some advice. My father likes beachcasting but due to his age is not able to cast out too far. Can anyone advise on a reasonable rod that is quite flexible and would hel him gain an extra few yards. I'm hoping to get him a new rod for xmas, also what is the best material - Carbon fibre?

alan

Reaction score
Mark, what sort of casting does he do?

basic overhead thump, or something else like laying the weight on the floor?

can he twist/rotate his upperbody?

what sort of weight are you looking to be able to cast?

sorry for the questions but the more info we have the easier it is to recomend something.

Bognorbelter

Reaction score
Hi Alan,
Its more of an over the shoulder swing at about 45 degrees, he usually uses a 75~100g weight. Twist rotate not so much as he is 77.
Hope this helps.

alan

Reaction score
before buying a new rod try this.

stand facing the sea as normal,
with the right straight up have the weight by your reel,
hold the rod so the hand at the bottom is next to your face, and the other is out straight behind you,
put the tip of the rod so its just resting on the floor,
when you are like this you want the weight and close to your feet as the line will let it reach.
slowly cast as normal, there is no need to really thump or snatch it just a nice smouth swing of the rod stright up over your shoulder.
(when you get the hang of it, you can swing the weight into postion by your feet)

it will bend the rod quicker and with less effort, letting him cast a bit further.

try it and see if it helps if not let us know and we will see what we can do.

Make sure you use a shock leader when casting like this as if you put a lot of power in to it it will snap 20lb with out much problems.

if you are in bognor where do you normally fish? im based in emsworth so only about 20/30 mins away.

Bognorbelter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info alan, I'll try to get him to try your casting method. My Dad usually fishes off of Felpham beach as its only 5 mins walk from his house. He's not seriously into fishing, but does it for fun mostly in the summer about once or twice a month.