Barometric breakthrough book

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Sounds interesting John. I've read in another book that a rising barometre normally means fish come on the feed. Albeit this book is 60 years old and only briefly touchs the subject.
Out of all things afecting feeding fish, this seems to be one not writen about so much. Moon phases, weather and time of year all get alot writen about alot.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Well done Wendy, Oh and I'm probably a bit taller then you ;)
I'm going piking on the weekend, may not catch a monster like you though. How big were they anyway?

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
read the story when it comes on here! i'm only little so yeah your probably right!

I enjoyed this article too John is ace at writing articles.

W

Wolfman Woody

I always maintained that fish can somehow detect the slightest changes in barometric pressure and will respond accordingly as a result.

Not being salmon angler, I might see if this comes into the library.

J

John McLaren

I have always found that the old saying "when the wind's in the east the fish bite least" seemed to reflect reality but it also seemed unlikely that the cause was the wind. So I long ago concluded that the effect must relate in some way to barometric pressure, I have shared my thoughts with a few folk over the years usually greeted with dismissive comments -"how can fish feel changes in barometric pressure given the pressure of their living environment." AT LAST is sounds like I may be right!

Must read the book - any chance of borrowing yours John? :)

davestocker

Reaction score
Loada tosh - at least where my wild brown trout fishing is concerned! I love fly fishing for wild brownies on natural lakes. The best fishing conditions are heavy if not total cloud cover, and a 12-15mph wind from the South West. These kind of conditions are usually a result low pressure fronts moving in, and for much of the Spring this is what I want the weather map to show.

And anyway, even if you know this stuff about pressure, the majority of anglers go fishing when they can go fishing and not at the drop of a hat when light/pressure/water/wind conditions are perfect. Nonetheless, it's an interesting theory.

J

john conway

Sorry John I borrowed it from Martin James, but I did intend buying it.
Dave, even when the glass is dropping there are little kicks in the curve and its these little rises that trigger off the salmon to feed. Maybe this is more pronounced in salmon who don't feed when they come into fresh water and thus are just reacting to instinctive feeding.
There are many conditions when you have a better chance of catching fish and its not always possible to match your time with these conditions, like you said Dave, sometimes you just have to go fishing. However, I can't help wanting to know what these conditions are, because sometimes, knowing the river and weather are just right kicks my butt and says, bugger the work John you've just got to be on the river NOW.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Barometric pressure - I wonder.

A fish has only to swim through a depth of 1 metre and it will experience a far greater pressure change than the whole barometric scale.

And I would agree with Dave.

I have fished for trout in both still waters and rivers for over 40 years and the best conditions by far are westerly winds with overcast skys brought on by low pressure from the Atlantic - in the UK that is.

And a water temperature in the 12 to 14 deg C range.

Other predatory fish seem to react differently. A low pressure front crossing Southern Africa would often knock the bass fishing on the head for a day or two, yet the trout would go barmy.

Why I don't know.