Paste baits for Match Carp In Winter

E

Edmund Cowpe

I am currently trying out paste baits for match Carp (3 -5lb ) in winter. The best so far seem to be ground trout pellets flour and egg. Alternatives are bread paste and flavoured 50/50 mix. Ideas on winter flavours and paste bases would be appreciated (I already use the alcohol based types) fruity or fishy, salty or sweet? Any thing but the slavish use of pellet and corn!!

D

David Will

I know this might be something you may have tried but surely sprayed maggot must be due a comeback. As for pastes I know the match boys local to me use Mainline Activate or Grange paste. A little goes a long way so this alleviates some concerns over cost.They fish it over the response pellets.

T

Terry Edmonds

A GOOD PASTE THAT IVE HAVE USED IN WINTER IS ACTIVE 8 BOILIE MIX FLAVOURED WITH NASH WHISKEY BOILIE DIP WORKED FOR ME!
BUT I MUST AGREE WITH DAVID WILL MAGGOT IS THE TOP WINTER BAIT FOR MATCH CARP,AFTER THAT CHOPPED WORM AND CASTER.

E

Edmund Cowpe

Terry/David,

I agree on most carp dominated waters sprayed maggot or worm and caster are the first port of call in winter. However on the water I am fishing there are quite a few Rudd, Skimmers and Roach. The rub is the match is almost always won with a match Carp approach. Hence the need for something selective that can be fished with aggressively if the opportunity presents itself. Believe me I have tried the standard techiniques; I need an edge!!

T

Terry Edmonds

i fish waters very similar to the one you describe, pellet and paste matches the paste i described earlier has won me a few matches fished over hi-betaine pellets slightly softened and covered with whizzo amino ground bait.
have you tried the solar bag mix? this also can be used as a paste also excellent and i believe not commonly used in matches.
nutrabaits green lipped mussel flavouring and solar growler juice are ideas on additives to add to this paste.
hope this has given you some ideas?