braid

Micheal Kettle

Reaction score
hi i am thinking about fishing on the beach
with braid will i be able to cast further
than with mono as the fish allways seem to be further out and only the best casters seem to be able to reach them. also how do i load the reel etc i was thinking about
getting 30lb braid and just fishing with a
4ozs lead also i have heard that when you have cast out you have to leave a little slack in the line is this true

D

David Singleton

Hi. Michael,Before swapping to braid it might be worthwhile having somebody look at your casting style/tecnique,Sea Angler magazine may
be able to help with one of their instructors.
The problems with braid are its lack of stretch and the fact that it beds in under load leading to horrendous birdsnests, it should be less of a problem if you are using a
fixed spool reel however,but a shock-leader is
essential. Hope thats of some help.

Micheal Kettle

Reaction score
thanks david i will think again about useing braid it sounds hard to use will try to improve my casting instead

Vic Brooks

Reaction score
Hi braid is best used for deep sea work try some new line or use a multiplier

alan

Reaction score
hi Micheal, ive been using braid from the beach for the last 3 years.
it wont make a huge differance to your casting.
you will need a shock leader if you dont it will cut in to your finger.
dont leave the line slack, have it as tight as possable, if the slack dangles down to touch the breakers it will get buried the same as mono.
load the reel with a mono backing then bulk it out with the braid.

the advantages i have found are
1) better bite indication
2) easier to anchor up with anchor weights
3) it copes with the tide better then mono so areas that cant be fished due to current can.
4) you can feel the fish, even small bass and pout
5) being stronger you lose less tackle as you can pull out of snags

the disadvantages
1) due to lack of stretch, weed is more likly to unanchor the weight
2) pulling for a break is a nightmare, make sure you carry a small length of wood to wrap the line around.
3) being so light fishing in high winds can lead to tangles

dont worry to much about using a multi, fixed spools can cast just as far in a fishing situation.

you need to look at your casting style, are you bending the rod when you cast? is it a smooth cast or are you snatching? what technique are you using, overhead thump, off the ground, etc?

Micheal Kettle

Reaction score
hi alan
great amount of info very good will load a spare reel with braid and give it a try when is is not to windy and there is not alot of weed about, in the summer i fish in the river for bass about 2 miles up stream be good in that situation. Last summer my biggest was 4lb 6ozs