Swapping hooklinks,

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Evening all.
Just occured to me if I'm wanting to swap my hooklinks around I have to re-tie everything, whereas if I swap a lead to feeder I can just use a Snaplink (I think thats what they're called (If not hopefully you can guess what I'm rambling on about).
Could I use one of these to swap hooklinks around? Obviously when playing a fish there would be a lot more pressure then securing a lead or feeder!
Cheers guys, any help would great.

Disco stu

Reaction score
Korum do a quick change 2-part type of bead. Well worth a small investment Chris.

njb51

Reaction score
I wouldnt use the snap-links Chris, they tend to part under not much pressure....the ones I used did anyway!

Korda do some good ones.......i'll find a linky thing.

W

Wolfman Woody

or <a href='http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/878' target='_blank'>
these</a> sleeved over with some silicone tubing.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
That link you put up Johnny , well i used them when i was sea fishing to change hook links they are really quick, christian try them!

njb51

Reaction score
Make sure you use tubing with them to cover them up after attaching the hooklink!

E

Evan

Woody: Which way round does the tubing and link go ? ie. link on mainline with tubing above it sliding down over it, or link on hooklink and tubing sliding up over it ?
Or something else I haven't thought of.... ?

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
in this order

mainline ,bead,gemini clip,put tubing onto hooklink with a baiting needle then clip in hooklink ,then pull up tubing over said gemini clip

or...

mainline,two beads (one being the ones that sit over your swivel)
swivel ,korda stik clip with said hooklink attached and then the silicone sleeves(again by korda)pulled up as before

or...

mainline ,run ring with leger/feeder on tailrubber and gemini clip inside with hooklink attached-pull down tail rubber.
there was a thread on this-see "jan porter rig"
regards Matt

R

Robert Woods 1

Which knot is best to form loops in nylon hooklengths to clip in snood clips...???

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Damn good idea these, change from lead and meat, to pellet and feeder in seconds!

W

Wolfman Woody

Christian, Here's a new one from Korda I'm trying. They slip over a Gemini snood clip easy. Sadly, Korda's sit doesn't allow me to put in a direct link, but they are like a length of silicone tubing, only tapered. A good idea and I'm working on a review - soon.

Here's what Korda say -

"ANTI TANGLE SLEEVES
Korda Anti Tangle sleeves have been specially designed to reduce tangles, they also help to push the hooklink away from the lead. When using coated hooklinks such as Hybrid or fluorocarbons like IQ, the rig will work best when the hooklink is laid out straight and away from the lead system. By incorporating these sleeves in your set up you will increase the effectiveness of your rig which will help turn more bites into hooked fish.As with our Safe Zone Leaders we have manufactured these sleeves in four different lakebed colours; Gravel, Weed, Clay & Silt. We have proved on the Underwater films that matching your components to the spot you are fishing will make a huge difference to your catch rates."

alex laurie

Reaction score
Maybe I'm a bit simple. Why don't you just fish a hooklink with a looped end and pass the loop through your end swivel and then pull the hook through?

This works for me.

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Robert;

Best knot i found is this-don't know what it is called and i will try and explain as comprehensively as i can;

Tie an overhand knot about 6 inch from the end of your hooklink-leave it open a bit

Take your hooklink and fold it back on itself to form a loop on front of the knot

hold all this in between thumb and index finger

twist tag end round rest of hooklink four times and then through the overhand knot

now using something robust like the barrel of a baiting needle pull on the loop until all the knot tightens(moisten if need be)

There as clear as mud!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Just remebered these as well, Christian. A little bit smaller than the Gemini clips and these work too.

I should add that they can be tied to your mainline and then a loop from the hooklink placed into the clip. The clip and sleeve should always remain on the mainline, if possible.

honslow

Reaction score
Double overhand knot makes a strong loop (essentially a granny knot where you go through twice with doubled up line to form the loop). Works for me.

E

Evan

Mattzzzz....

I think you are describing the Rapala knot if I understand your garble properly !

See:
http://www.steelheader.net/knots/rapala_knot.htm

And it is indeed an excellent loop making knot, especially useful in braid. In fact the only one I have so far found that does work in braid !

PS. Alex... the good old loop to loop thing doesn't work so well with braid, these days I prefer to use a swivel