Fishing Suits

B

Brian Brotherton

I am hoping santa will bring me a fishing suit for xmas however he wants me to be more specific.

So I am considering the Sundridge minus 10 2 piece suit. Are these any good or value for money?

Are there better!

Thanks for your help

S

Steve Burke

I have the Sundridge Nimbus 2 piece which is a lighter version of the Minus 10 and I'm very pleased indeed with it. I especially like the multitude of pockets as I carry much used items like hook wallet, split shot, camera, binoculars and scales etc. in them.

I prefer a lighter suit as I can wear it in all seasons without getting too hot. In cold weather I just put an extra layer on underneath. Both the Nimbus and the Minus 10 two piece consist of four garments: 2 breathable waterproof outers plus 2 fleeces with the top having an all-important hood. You can thus wear 1 to 4 items depending on the season and the time of day.

One other difference is that the Nimbus has trousers whilst the Minus 10 has a bib and brace. I like the latter in the winter but find it too hot on wet summer days.

B

Barry Kneller

I too wanted a Sundridge suit but when I actually saw one on the bank I was not all that impressed - I'm sure that it will be very warm in very cold weather but totally OTT for most UK conditions (here in the soft south anyway). In my local tackle shop I tried on a Drennan Drenchware Lightweight jacket & salopettes the other day & was impressed enough to put down an instant deposit - it's now top of my xmas list but if I can't get any one to buy it for me I'll get it myself. The jacket is unpadded but with a thicker than normal lining so it will need to be worn with a fleece in the colder weather. Can anyone reccommend a suitable heavy-ish fleece - preferably with a hood?

R

Rob Brownfield

Fishing up here in Northern Scotland, I think I can safely say that I fish in perhaps the worst weather in the UK.

I went off one piece suits many years ago, favouring the flexibility of salopettes and long jacket. I also swear by a Gortax jacket and trousers with a fleece or down jacket beneath.

Its important to have the correct underwear too...look at the Helly Hansen range of Lifa stuff.

N

Nicky Garbutt

the best thing ive every used to keep me warm is them big army coats that we used on work expirence gortex water poof the best thing.

R

Rob Brownfield

If u notice in the pic of me ....u cant actually really see me thanx to a British Army Gortex 2-piece suit..lol I just blend into the backgound!

Brillirnt kit though

G

Gary Knowles

Rob,

I agree on both points....

A bib and brace and a long jacket are much comfier (they dont part your gonads when you sit down!) and have the advantage of being able to remove the jacket when it warms up.

Also my wife's brother is in the forces and he has given me the same goretex suit your wearing. They are unbeleivable - i can actually sit in a puddle (I have done on a boat) all day and the damp not pass through, they also cut out practically all the wind chill and are light enough to keep in the rucksack.

N

Nicky Garbutt

theirs only one thing wrong with gore tex and thats the price.

R

Rob Brownfield

Gortex is CHEAP..lol
Dutch Gortex trousers, ?23, British Army Gortex jacket ?65 new, ?40 seconhand.
Both from Transworld Surplus

R

Rob Brownfield

Gortex is only expensive if it has a fishing companies name on it!!

U can actually get some great waterproof and cold weather clothing from "industrial supplier" catalogues...much cheaper than from the high street.

For example, kevlar filiting gloves (pike unhooking), ?6

Thermail Boots, ?11

Fleeces with windstopper lining, ?30

S

Steve Burke

Barry I agree with you about many suits, including most of the Sundridge ones, being too heavy in warm weather. However, the Nimbus isn't padded so is cool in warm weather.

The inner fleeces are separate garments so the whole system is very flexible and, in conjunction with an extra layer of clothes in the winter, suitable for all year use.

B

Ben Lovell

I have the Minus 10... I find it is extremely warm, and yes sometimes too warm for normal use but then you can always take the top layer off and just wear the sleepskin.

I have fished through the night (and i mean fished not just go to sleep on my bedchair!) in very cold conditions and have been completely warm. It is a little bulky but then im sure im going to appreciate it when it turns really cold.

As for the ESP drenchwear I have heard on more than one occasion that they're completely useless and perhaps called drenchwear because you get drenched when wearing it!!! I haven't actually tried one myself though so I will reserve that judgement.