Trout

Kris Fraser

Reaction score
hi, im going for my first Trout fishing in KYpeside Scotland. iv nver fished for trout before. can anyone give me simple ways to catch them

M

MarkTheSpark

Nothing simple about fishing for Scottish trout! I'm not familiar with the water, but the general consensus would be that you can't beat working for them. Trotting a float or running a big worm through with a bit of split shot in the deeper pools usually works really well.
If it's fly only, you're in the territory of Scottish trout flies. Small and black is a great starting point, but czech nymphs and all manner of sub-surface flies work. Every day is different.

alex laurie

Reaction score
I know Kypeside. It is a rainbow fishery.
I fish there with fly during the winter sometimes when the rivers are out of sorts. I hate it, but it gets me out.

I take it you will be bait fishing Kris?

Just rig up a simple running leger, or fish a float to keep the bait out of the weeds. Te bait pond is very weedy. No need to cast far out in these types of water.

Rainbows don't need sophisticated gear or bait fishing techniques on this sort of water and you won't be allowed to groundbait/loose feed, so either keep your bait drifting slowly above bottom, or keep it static on the bottom in the hope a rainbow finds it.

Ask Shug or Billy at the hut and they'll sort you out.

Take a flask. It's like the North Pole up there during winter.