Unhooking mats-whats good (or bad!!)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
My mat has seen better days so I'm in the market for a new one.

I'm unlikely to need one for a 35lb carp, pike or catfish so I don't really need anything big (I would imagine carp to 15lb as the max size)

What I'm after is a small, easy to carry mat that I can use both for static fishing or when I want to try several swims- around a lake or pit for example.....

Cost is not an issue so I don't mind paying for something which, by general opinion, is 'the best on the market'....if such a thing exists!!

Its all about fish welfare BUT it must be easy TO CARRY AND EASY TO CLEAN!!

Oh, and dry quickly....

All help with this appreciated as is any help with websites/ebay etc etc

Thanks!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I use the TFG mat (£14.99), at the bottom of the page for general fishing doubled up but can be opened out for a big carp. IMO it does everything you want. I use the Fox stalker, further up th page , for carp fishing.
Jerry
Fishtec

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Leeda, £12 and fits exactly across the cushion of a Korum accessory chair, or in the back flap of the same chair.

You can sit on it yourself as a stalking cushion too and leave the chair at home.

It's three sections that fold together and are held like that by large elastic straps. It'll take a BIG fish if needed and weighs nothing.

It is flat, though and has no sides to hold on to a lively fish.

Only a Tenner here....I was diddled!....

Leeda Unhooking mat - Unhooking Mats - WEIGHING AND FISH CARE

quickcedo

Reaction score
How much protection is reqired then? I have used a similar mat for years and have never seen so much as a mark on any fish. What is the purpose of the mat? Is it to stop stones etc on the bank injuring the fish or does it have to be some kind of 'sleeptight' matress?
These are genuine questions and not meant to provoke. I honestly think the whole unhooking mat theme has become a little ott.

noknot

Reaction score
How much protection is reqired then? I have used a similar mat for years and have never seen so much as a mark on any fish. What is the purpose of the mat? Is it to stop stones etc on the bank injuring the fish or does it have to be some kind of 'sleeptight' matress?
These are genuine questions and not meant to provoke. I honestly think the whole unhooking mat theme has become a little ott.
OK Mark, put your max 1" foam mat on hard stoney ground and give it a good punch, that will answer your question for you......

quickcedo

Reaction score
Ok I know what you're saying but of course the fish isn't going to punch it. The fish will be laid on it whilst i unhook it. I will not be leaving it on the mat while I get my camera gear together etc. It will be unhooked and returned. If I want a photo, the fish is unhooked then held in a spacious landing net, in the water.
Now of course if you are refereing to boulder strewn banks then I would unhook in the landing net. To me this is just common sense. But I have seen people pouring lake water on the fish on the unhooking mat, because it is starting to dry out. Such is the length of time it has been on the mat. These mats can give a false sense of security to anglers who think just because they have a jumbo mat, they can do what they like.

noknot

Reaction score
Hi Mark, a freshly caught 15lbs Carp can go absolutely Ape S*** on the mat and it's head could whack the mat hard! I have returned 20lbs+ Carp without a pic as they have gone Ape on the mat! And yes sometimes people do keep the fish out of the water way TOO long just fro the "trophy shots!!!

quickcedo

Reaction score
Anyway, sorry Tee Cee I've 'hyjacked' your thread. Again :)
Thanks for honest replies 'K'. I remain unconvinced, although of course I see your point. The old addage of play the fish in the water not on the bank seems to spring to mind. I'll stick to using on the mats described above.
Perhaps a new thread on the merits or otherwise of landing fish too quickly and how to deel with them?

quickcedo

Reaction score
I'm just pulling your leg a bit with that. But it does appear to me to becoming more common.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

On a personal note. Tee Cee, can I ask why you have chosen not to recieve PMs. (please feel free not to answer).

sam vimes

Reaction score
Weird the way things are going with regards unhooking mats.
Once folks looked upon someone using an unhooking mat as a bit of a bonus. Then we moved onto the odd negative comment if even basic unhooking mat isn't used. Now it's almost universal disdain if unhooking mats aren't used. However, we are steadily moving towards disdain for those using what others consider inadequate unhooking mats. With some of the modern behemoths of unhooking mats, I suspect that we might be starting to go a little over the top.
I'm sure that the tackle industry will be only too happy to indulge us though!;):D

However, one thing I have seen recently is a fishery that provided a whacking great unhooking mat in every swim (along with weighing tripod, in some swims they even had rod pods and bivvy setups). I suspect that could be the way forward for many stillwater fisheries. No excuse for an individual not to use it if it's provided and no one can moan about its suitability if the fishery owner deems them adequate.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A decent peice of bubble wraps as good as anything.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Punching stoney ground through an unhooking mat seems rather over the top!

Unless, of course, one punches like a girl.

I think the OP made it clear he wasn't fishing for 'lumps' as I believe is the current vernacular?

I simply provided him with the cheapest mat I know of, which is perfectly adequate for the fish he thought to catch.

Provided, as has been mentioned, it has been sufficiently played to land it.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Just out of interest. Do you believe this 'going mental' will do them any more damage than when in the throws of spawning? I've seen, esp Carp, do immense damage to themselves during this period and yet have recovered well. I'm not suggesting for one minute that unhooking mats don't need to be used but I am saying some are a little over the top.

noknot

Reaction score
Just out of interest. Do you believe this 'going mental' will do them any more damage than when in the throws of spawning? I've seen, esp Carp, do immense damage to themselves during this period and yet have recovered well. I'm not suggesting for one minute that unhooking mats don't need to be used but I am saying some are a little over the top.
Dammage occured through spawning is natural Mark and the fishies weight is supported whilst in the water, however once on the bank the weight is not supported at all and is totaly un-natural to the fish, this is why a good soft mat should be used to give them as much protection whilst out of the water as possible.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Un-natural eh???
fish_out_of_water.jpg

View image in gallery

That says "I'm so going to get laid now"

BarryC

Reaction score
One of my pet annoyances is other anglers going off on one about the use of mats and are then quite happy to hold that same fish up at chest height to take self gratifying photos.
If you regularly fish venues where largish fish are likely then yes carry a mat.
But if you get the chance of that big fish or have a lucky catch then just use good old commonsense and care.
It's not just carp that thrash about and i've seen many carp anglers drag bream in to unhook them because they do'nt want to get their nets messy.

Carp are not the only worthy species despite what you are constantly told.