Pike Bite Alarms

R

Rob Brownfield

I originally started on Herons, that then became Optonics and now Delkims. I have never really had a problem with my Delkims, but I had 2 nicked whilst in Suffolk...sooo..I am looking to replace them.

What I want to know from you guys is what u lot think are best.

Should i get Delkims agaian, or, because these days they will only be used for Pike, should I consider a drop back alarm..and if so...which ones?

G

Gary Knowles

Rob,

The Fox alarms take some beating, both for quality and pricewise. I also think they are better than the drop off type as they often give you a single bleep as the pike first sucks in the bait, which is enough to get you over to your rod and to unclip the bobbin before the pike moves off

Gary

R

Rob Brownfield

When i had my Delkims nicked, i bought 2 or the Micron E's for ?35 a pair...I use them a spares now..but they are pretty good for the money!

I have not been a fan of the drop offs to tell the truth.

S

Steve Burke

I use the GFs alarms from Good Fishing. Identical spec to the Fox MX (variable tone, volume and 2 levels of sensitivity) but they take a 9 volt battery. British made and cheaper too at only ?29.50.

I use these in conjunction with Fox Pike Swinger drop-off indicators, but I've swapped the fiddly Fox line clips for Gardner ones.

B

Ben Lovell

I use delkims personally. I have used the fox ones previously they were just as good except they get annoying when your livebaits keep pulling you out of the clip and you have to pick the rod up to shut it up!!

besides which, anything that makes a noise is acceptable and i find the less time i spend worrying about whether I have the right gear the more fish i catch :)

J

James stewart

Sorry to learn of Bob's alarms being nicked...theft of gear is a sore point with me. (Having been there).
Fox "s" models I ahve used for the past few years...they don't throw up many problems apart from bleeping in strong flows and in extremely windy conditions.
I have not gone for those which have "drop back differential etc"....more often than not you see a take via line or drop arm.
For the price and problem free usage to date I would not see any reason to change that which I use at present.

S

Steve Burke

I agree with Ben about livebaits and rear alarms not going together. This applies to all types of rear alarms AFAIC.

With a front alarm and an open bail arm all you get is one or at the most two bleeps. However, as I always sit by my rods rather than spreading them out I don't find this a problem, especially as you usually can't miss the whack of a drop arm indicator hitting the rear bankstick.

B

Ben Lovell

I have noticed with braid that it doesn't fly off the spool when it comes out of the line clip - unlike mono when you get a tug out of the clip it starts to birds nest, thats unless you have underfilled the spool to avoid it.

The good thing about the braid 'bedding in' slightly is that it still provides no resistance when being pulled off the spool, and also you will get more than the usual two bleeps on the alarm as it pulls through under slight tension.

One thing I have been aware of is that you have to be careful as the clips can pinch the braid and if you get a drop back the backbiter doesn't go down properly.

R

Rob Brownfield

I agree about the indicators not dropping back..had that happen on Sunday...twice.

The delkims seem to cope with this better than the wheel type indicator as they pick up the vibration from the braid so much better.

C

Chris Bishop

Weight the indicator head - it actually makes it more sensitive (ie it falls off more easily, subject to tension of the clip) and registers drop-backs better.

M

Martin Wright

I've been using the Fox Micron PS alarms for the past 3 years and I must admit I really like them - though I only deadbait.

A

Andy Doughty

My old optonics do the job. They bleep when there is a fish, what more do I want? Bobbins tailored to the conditions help and watching the rod tip as well. Maybe vibration alarms would pick the little zander bites up, but I am happy with hundred year old optonics!

Never got on with drop-back indicators. Always tangled me up. I find it easy to 'read' a bobbin now. And they look nice gently waving in the wind...,

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris...the heads are weighted, with up to 3 oz!!..Ouch...

D

dave lindsay

i use fox micron ms with bobbins and never had any problems with indication fish comes towards me bobbin falls . fish swims away alarm goes off job done who needs lots of widdly bits on em . sooner or later some carp angler is going to put out an alarm that sounds like a telephone ans machine message can you imagine it "you have a common called bert taking you boille"

D

dave lindsay

i use fox micron ms with bobbins and never had any problems with indication fish comes towards me bobbin falls . fish swims away alarm goes off job done who needs lots of widdly bits on em . sooner or later some carp angler is going to put out an alarm that sounds like a telephone ans machine message can you imagine it "you have a common called bert taking you boille to catch this fish please pick up your rod"

S

Steve Burke

My piking goes back to the days when all of us used bobbins except for floatfishing. However, I'd never go back to them - too fiddly to get the weight right to show small dropbacks in particular. If the weight isn't sufficient you can have a deeply-hooked fish.

Give me a drop arm indicator with a sliding weight to adjust the tension any day. This can be used in any type of water in almost any circumstances, including gale force winds.

As I mentioned earlier I like the Fox Pike Swinger as you can adjust the tension to more or less zero which is sometimes essential for perch.

In the final analysis it's down to personal choice as long as it's safe for the fish.

I

Ian Whittaker

Question for any of you guys. The biggest problem i've had is not the indicator but the actual clip to the line .Which is the best line clip in terms of releasing from the line ?

S

Steve Burke

With nylon I've always found the Gardner clips to be the best as even with my poor grip I can easily adjust them regardless of how cold it is. There's also a wide range of adjustment that can be especially vital when perch fishing - I use the same indicator for perch and pike (and carp for that matter!)

I found the Fox clips totally unsuitable for perch fishing and so put Gardner clips on my Fox Pike Swingers.

I've recently handled the Cygnet clips and they look excellent. I'll be trying them shortly but has anyone any experience of these?

I don't use braid in conjunction with a drop-off indicator so can't comment on suitable clips. Hopefully, someone else can.

R

Rob Brownfield

Anyone found stainless steel clips? I think these would be great for braid work...as the plastic does indeed stick with Fireline etc.

I too use the Fox swingers with the sliding weight, with extra weight if needed. I find them very weak in there construction though, with the stems bending, the heads pulling off and denting, and the clips falling out. Anyone else know of a similat product, but better made?

B

Ben Lovell

A lot of people make their own drop arm indicators nowadays. You can source the bits easy enough, a few bits of silicon, some line clips, a ping pong ball or something similar etc etc... You can make them exactly how you need them!

You can be the Blue Peter of the predator world ;)