Debarbing a Hook

Kris Fraser

Reaction score
hi, can anyone tel me how to debarb a hook . give as many ways as possible plzz . ty

E

Evan

Squeeze with pliers.... only way as far as I know ! Unless you are talking about bloody great big sea hooks you can grind off.

And I got the ideal pair of pliers with completely flat facings to the jaws from a model aircraft hobby shop for less than half the price of the identical items on sale in the fishing shop 100 yards up the road.... ! Worth a look in.

Though do bear in mind that even a squeezed down flat barb can give some "bump" or residual obstruction to removal from the fish and, strictly, it isn't a "barbless" hook, it is a barbed hook that has been de-barbed.

A minute distinction but one that some clubs make, you have to use barbless made as barbless and no pair of pliers or any crushing of barbs etc will do... Check the club rules before losing yr card on such niceties.

Personally, where barb crushing is allowed I like it as the best of both worlds - effectively barbless as far as hook hold in the fish is concerned but that little "bump" irrregularity where the barb has been crushed down helps keep maggots / worms from wriggling off too easily.

Wozzer

Reaction score
I've still got a load of boxes of barbed Drennan carbon Chub hooks that i bought ages ago.I keep meaning to remove the barbs but never get round to it.
I tried removing some with a Dremil using one of the small cutting blades but you have to be careful not to weaken the hook.
Maybe I'll hang on to em until I fish somewhere I can use em.

H

Huw (ACA)

I have a small multi-tool, similar to a 'leatherman', the pliers are excellent for squeezing down the barbs. The 'bump' you get left with helps to keep bait, like maggots on the hook

Foxy

Reaction score
simply buy barbless? like the lads say above, long nose pliers are ideal. The best way to test the barb has been completly removed is to put the point through an old jumper or t-shirt and if it doesnt catch on the fabric when you pull it out, the barbs completly gone

G

Ged

Forceps are good. Difficult if using very small hooks.
Be careful not to snap the point of small hooks. I.e, where the bend is by using too large a pliers etc.

Wayne Beale

Reaction score
Forceps. Clamp forceps on the hook barb, twist hook to and fro a couple of times, job done , barb snapped off and it will pass the 'jumper test' too. I do this with hooks to size 18 with no probs.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Why go to all that trouble when barbless hooks of all shapes and sizes are available?

M

MarkTheSpark

Long-nose pliers in a small size or forceps, and just crush the barb flat, don't 'twist' the hooka round or you'll seriously weaken it.

Why not buy barbless? Well, I tie flies on barbed because most fisheries allow them; I don't want to have to tie two lots of flies every time.