IGNORANT cyclist!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Today i went on my local canal PAID my ?4 day ticket, showed him my ?24 ROD LICENCE to be able to sit there, relax and fish for the day.Then i get the most obnocious little shit on a bike crush my landing net pole!!

It really winds me up! that i pay to sit there and look after my surroundings whilst i'm there, and then that happens!Ten mins later a couple walk up with a TWIN buggie and asked me to move my "stuff" so they can get past.I huffed at them but they took no notice.

The other side of the canal is empty of anglers because we are not allowed to fish on that side.So why the hell don't they ban cyclists and ladies with twin buggies!!!

Rant over!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Many canal towpaths are a public right of way.
It could be argued that you were causing an obstruction with your landing net pole if you left it sticking out onto the towpath.

T

The Monk

yes Baz is unfortunately right Wendy, cyclists though by law are required to have a tow path license to ride the tow paths, I was actually pulled for this in Leeds one morning by the then British Water Board

stikflote

Reaction score
its still a bylaw but no one enforces it/.ON the erewash canal that i fish there is another path behind the hedge for walkers& bikes but they still come down the towpath

B

Nobody enforces it until somebody gets hurt or tries to claim damages.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Baz i can just about fit my chair on the path i had no choice to have it were it was!

What annoys me is that i paid to sit there! these other people didn't pay a penny to ride it or walk it!!!!

T

The Monk

actually Wendy they do, they pay it in various tax`s, you pay twice though

W

Wolfman Woody

Grumpy old woman. You Wendy!!!

You're getting to that age now. With blokes it's over 50, but with women it's a bit younger.

Sorry, a LOT younger :eek:)

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
not that much younger woody not be far till i reach the 50 LOL

Monk

you know what i mean tho!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
What amazes me about this is that anyone actually pays a day ticket fee to fish a northern canal. Do the likes of Baz actually stomp up and down the canal in the vain hope that they might find an odd person fishing??

4 pound a day?? Bit steep that...

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
hey ric i love my canal i've had some cracking fish out of it.

I don't know if ?4 is a bit steep i normally get a good 8 hours of fun, so to me ?4 is good!

T

The Monk

Wendy for ?4, did you buy a day ticket or buy part of the tow path, yes it sounds a bit steep really. I know what you mean though, when I`m fishing on canals I get really annoned with cyclists racing up and down the tow path, having said that I also like a bit of mountain biking alone tow paths and when i`m on my bike i get really annoed with anglers who put those bloody great poles across the tow path and cause me to stop

B

I agree with that Monk. I often walk the canal length, on the towpath of course not on the water its self. I'm not that good......Yet.

It is annoying when you have to stop, but being an angler I can understand why poles get laid across the path. But by no means does that make it right. It certainly doesn't do angling any favours when the angler, (not Wendy) gives abuse to a member of the public for stepping over their pole. In many cases the pole shouldn't be their in the first place, it should be laid paralell to the canal bank its self.

I did enquire at one time to the canal company as to why cycling had been stopped on certain stretches of the canal.
The answer that I got was that the towpaths were not made for bicycles and were unsafe for them, because of potholes and mooring rings etc. Which is true I suppose but??????

Basicly it comes down to insurance. If a cyclist hit a pot hole and tryed to claim against the canal company, their would be big problems.
(plenty of room for discussion here)

The potholes are still there and so are the cyclists, As has already been said, who polices it to enforce this rule of no bikes? We know who should police it on a regular basis, but do they? No they don't, and that is what I find annoying. The canal company have made the rule and they should be "MADE" to enforce it.

I could write chapter and verse on this subject, and cycling is not the only problem.

As you know, I am allways right.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Off for a bike ride shortly.

I think the conflict comes from both sides from the people who are not prepared to be sensible or compromise.

Poles stretched across the towpath used to make a Sunday morning stroll a nightmare.
Conversely when fishing the speed some cyclists whissed passed me was frightening.
You are guilty of being correct on this occassion Baz.

B

God bless Wendy for giveing me the opertunity to have a good old rant.

Richard.
As one of our elderly bailiffs used to say, Angling related problems are all about common sence and courtesy.

bluddie hell, I think I'll go to church this morning whilst I'm in a better frame of mind.

B

On second thoughts, it's a bit late in the day for me to go to church. I think I'll have a walk down the canal instead.
Aahh well, no rest for the wicked eh?

B

Only in certain parts mate. They stopped it in my area a number of years ago. And they even dispensed with the cycle licence. That is what I found annoying.

T

The Monk

I didnt know that Baz, I though they were suposed to be promoting cycling as part of local Agenda 21, next year a new European Directive come in which makes it mandatory for rail companies to make provision for the carrying of cycles on trains as part of the Environmental enhancement policies, I think you may find a rethink may take place, plus many boat owners use bikes for tow path travel for shopping ect when they moor up.