lures

K

Krasimir Bacargiev

I wonder if some of you uses Rapala lures for pike and which models are the best for them?

R

Rob Brownfield

Yep..sure do....
Shallow Shad Raps are a favourite of mine, as well as the original floaters. Also Husky Jerks.

Super Shad Raps are ment to be good, but I have never caught on them

S

Steve Burke

All Rapala lures are very good quality and each plug is hand-tuned to run properly straight out of the box. Having been lucky enough to spend a whole day at the factory in Finland I've actually seen them made.

As far as pike go all the Shad Rap series work particularly well for pike as do the Magnums. Having said that I've caught pike on almost the entire range except those with 3 hooks which I choose not to use.

K

Krasimir Bacargiev

Well, it's really chilly outside, foggy also. I wonder if it is reasonable to use lures at this time of the year, and which ones are best? I turn to live-bait fishing in late November. I usually search for pike 1/2 metre under the surface. The books say, i shoudn't go deeper. We have a nice river passing through our town, but i'm really confused in finding the best spots and the right depth. bye!

R

Rob Brownfield

This time of year is fine for lures. I either use slow fished spinnerbaits, spoons or twitched jerkbaits.

G

Gary Knowles

Or those kinds with fins that actually wriggle.......

G

Gary Knowles

I use them on the Toothy critter lead heads Nicky............

P

Peter Waller

Hi Krasy, so we meet again! Soft bodied lures have been mentioned, but try them without a lead head. Thread a trace through them with a baiting needle & put a circle hook or treble on the end. Out a bead between the hook and the body of the lure. Work them as a jerk bait. If you need depth then pop a swan shot or two on the trace against the nose of the bait. Very popular technique here on Englands Norfolk Broads, and they really do catch, big time. Our Broads are, in some respects, similar to your gravel pit but are then connected to nearby rivers.

K

Krasimir Bacargiev

Guys , are your waters public or private? And how do you deal with the weedy pools? It's almost impossible to fish where the pike really is sometimes. I can see it jumping and chasing bait fish, and i can tear my hair off, but it's impossible to cast a lure in this places. And the clear spots are almost always unproductive. Bought some weedless spoons, but they doesn't seem to work up to know. Have somebody tried fishing for pike in the night?

R

Rob Brownfield

Night fishing for Pike is good. They will hit lures, livebaits and deaqdbaits. I find they will move in close at night and its possible to take fish at your feet if u are quiet.

C

Chris Bishop

Spoons. Cheap, cheerful and I never seem to miss takes on 'em.

You can also fish 'em shallow buy keeping the rod up.

R

Rob Lupton

I GO FISHING FOR ZANDER ON A PLUG I HAVE BEEN IN THE ANGLING MAIL 2 MOUTHS BACK AND I WAS IN THE FOX WEEKLY WINNERS. I HAD A 11LB 4OZ AND A 14LB 2OZ.

TIP....
WHEN FISHING FOR ZANDER THE ZANDER FOLLOWS THE PLUG TO THE BANK WHEN IT ATTACKS THE PLUG. SO STOP AND LET THE PLUG FLOT TO THE TOP. IF THERE IS A ZANDER FOLLING IT WILL ATTACK IT.
GOOD LUCK

D

Duke of York

i like fishing especially in winter on my many acres in my town of york