Sticky rod ferrules

Allan Wilson

Reaction score
I have just bought a new Daiwa Matchwinner system rod which makes up to 11' or 13' as required.

When making up to the shorter length the first section of the rod is very difficult to insert into the butt section.

Can somebody please advise the best way to make the sections easier to fit for now and in the future without being too loose.

Regards

W

Wolfman Woody

Can you clarify perhaps? Is it tight, does it close up on the spigot?

You might try rubbing a good soft graphite pencil on the male section if it's simply a tight or sticky fit.

Allan Wilson

Reaction score
The 1st section fits into the 2ft extension to its full distance but when shortening the rod by removing the 2ft extension I am barely able to get any movement into the femail section.

I need to make sure that if I do anything to the male section so that it does go into the butt section that I do not make it too loose for full length use.

Should I do something about the female section on the butt instead of the first section ?

Regards

W

Wolfman Woody

Firstly, have you thought about taking it back to the shop and asking them why the joints don't fit/aren't matched?

Doing anything yourself is tricky. If you change the female section on the butt then the 2ft extension may not fit. If you change the male on the next (a middle?) section then it might not fit, ie: be too loose, into the extension piece.

It just sounds like it really is a badly matched up rod. Perhaps the dealer has mixed up the sections and there will be soemone else like you with the opposite problem. People forget that with some rods, they're all different even though they are the same model. The difference of .1mm on a joint can turn it from a loose fit to impossible to connect.

Go back to the retailer - or did you buy from an advert/internet site?

T

The Monk

if you cant change it, try a light file with emery paper and then rub beeswax onto the spiggot