bloody fireworks

N

nick hodgkinson

its started - seems like Basra on a quiet night!

what i want to know is why are sales of fireworks to the public not restricted to say 9am - 7pm on 5 Nov

that would save a lot of grief and upset to the elderly and particularly pets

last Weds i forcibly removed some rockets from a chav who set one off in the street

his face was a picture - after his verbal tirade i asked him what he was going to do - answer NOTHING

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Personally I think the sale of fireworks to the general public should be banned - period.

If they can ban the ownership of handguns by responsible adults with the adequate permit, they should ban the sale of fireworks to any Joe Soap in the street. Let's face it you can do some pretty awful damage with fireworks if you put your mind to it.

W

Wolfman Woody

- ditto -

It's been going on here for over a week now.

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

Why anybody would want to celebrate the death (hung drawn and quartered) of the only man to get into the Houses of Parliament with the best of intentions is beyond me.

Now had he achieved it, then I could understand such celebrations :0)
He didn?t sadly so why celebrate?

I?m with Ron on this one BAN the bloody lot, we don?t have a firework industry anymore, so the profits go abroad and what profits are made by the retailers are made at misery of the vast majority of people in the UK.

A phone poll on regional News programme (Northwest Tonight) received over 6000 calls, 94% of those calls said ban them.

How much more evidence do those who occupy the Houses of Fun need to get rid of them?

R

And every year the emergency section of our hospitals will be taking contingency measures on Nov 5 for the usual amount of injuries caused by fireworks.

It's a drain on our precious hospital resources.

Ban them is what I say.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Agree completely ban them. Around here gangs of local wasters are firing them up the streets at other gangs.

We have organised displays so why can joe public purchase explosives. In this time of terrorist activity how easy would it be to smuggle more serious explosive into the country disguised as fireworks.

R

Has anyone ever thought of the amount of CO2 that is released into the atmosphere every Nov 5. It's a huge pall of smoke over the UK every year.

If this government wanted to do something really useful, they should ban fireworks.

Why not do a re-enactment of the execution of Catesby and Co. What about the hanging drawing and quartering of Prescott for a start.

captain carrott

Reaction score
i'm all for celebrating this time of year with it coming round the equinox, but as for the fire works they shouldn't sell em untill 5th november.

T

The Monk

its like apocalipse now here too, i bludi hate fireworks, they should ban the bludi lot

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
And so endeth the lesson from the wannabee Grumpy Old Men!

Jesus H Kerist, lighten up, go out and let off a few bangers (you all damn well did when you were kids, I'll bet!) and on Saturday night go find a bluidy great bonfire complete with a decent firework display and enjoy a hot dog or two.

You are a long time Dead, my friends, a bl00dy long time at that.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
well said peter lighten up chaps, why let a few morons ruin it for the many. great time of year get out chaps and enjoy yourself.them hot dogs black peas and parkin are worth celabrating in my eyes.

K

Kevin Perkins * CLXXX *

I think you will find that at least one non-indigenous religious group has already gained dispensation to let off fireworks. If we call for a ban, you can be assured that this group (probably amongst others) will be exempted, whilst those trying to uphold a centuries old English tradition will become criminals.

With 'organised' displays being outlawed due to 'Health & Safety' concerns (for that read fear of prosecution in case of accidents)people are left with the choice of doing it in the confined spaces of their back gardens.

This usually involves inviting friends/relatives round, and a concerted effort to have a bigger and better 'show' than the neighbours, usually combined with a barbeque, and of course plenty of drinks........never a good combination.

Having said all that, fireworks bring out the little boy in all of us, and until I am physically restrained from doing so, I will be lighting the blue touchpaper every Nov 5th....!!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You may find THIS interesting because it has made a BIG difference to the lead up to Nov. 5th
Full marks to them --- at last someone has had a bit of sense

L

Les Clark

Ban the bloody things ,most people under 40 don`t know why we celebrate and lets face it ,if Guy Falks and his gang had blown up parliament there may less tossers keen to get in there now .

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i`m in with the ban em brigade as well.i`m all for properly organised,charitable displays that are given the all clear by local authorities,like the good event put on by our local council.
what angers me is the "ohh but your spoiling it for the rest of us" brigade.
get it into your thick heads,it`s the idiots who sell the bloody things to the local idiot teenage hoodlums,its the idiots throwing them at innocent members of the public,it`s the idiots tying them to animals and setting them off,its the idiots pushing lighted bangers through pensioners letter boxes.....they`re the people spoiling it for the law abiding folk!!!!!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'd be all for a return to more organised displays. However, the insurance to run such an event costs a fortune. Consequently there are less organised events so people have taken to buying them for themselves.

P

paul williams 2

Old farts!......you all need a jumping jack up yer trousers! ;)-

R

When I was young, I acted as a child. As I grew older I put away childish things - like bloody fireworks!