Trace material for perch

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Hoping too do a bit of perch fishing on my next couple of sessions, The problem i have though is what trace too use that'd be efficient for perch but the added safety in case a pike is hooked, I really dont want too use my pike traces because i dont think they'd be any good for perch.
So if anyone could reccomend anything i would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

P

paul williams 2

Personaly i fish for perch or i fish for pike.........i would never fish a treble hook on mono line and that is the rule i stick to!

I fish for perch with mono and single hooks, if i hook a pike i honestly believe the single hook will do it no harm if i lose it.

Wozzer

Reaction score
I agree with Paul on that....If you're after Perch, make it single hook only.If a Pike does happen to take your bait and bites you off,its no worse than getting bitten off by any other fish.
If you really need to use a treble for perch,Drennan do some supple wire thats not too bad,Soft Strand .They claim its so supple,you can knot it.I prefer to crimp it myself though cos it doesn't twist very well.
Hope this helps
Woz

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I wasn't planning on using trebles and was concerned at the presentation a trace would achieve.
Thers a few pike in the stretch of river im targeting so was a bit worried about getting bitten off, Thanks again lads.

S

sash

I prefer mono for perch but there are a few 49 strand supple wires available such as Supatress or Z thread. You may even try a kevlar impregnated link such as Catlink from Cat Pro.

Joskin

Reaction score
Never had a problem using a normal pike trace. Drennan 7 strand seems to work just fine. The perch have never been put off by the trace. I would never use a lure without a trace as there is always a good chance of hooking at least one Pike in an afternoons spinning for Perch. I personally would not be happy to loose a lure to any fish weather I thought there was a good chance of the pike shedding the lure or not. I would not want to loose a lure as they are so bloody expensive and I am more than happy to enjoy a scrap from a Jack pike on a light perching rod.

I have tried single hook lures but found I had the lure hit just as often but didn't connected with the fish as often as I do if I use a treble hook. Do you guys not find the same thing?

W

Wolfman Woody

Roger Barnes uses normal 7 strand pike wire for perch with single hooks.

I make traces out of Drennan Soft Strand 10 or 15lb for perch spinning, normal Drennan Green coated wire at 28lb for pike.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I dont think Steve is intending to lure fish.He is worried if the wire trace will effect his livebait's movement.

Steve Hall

Reaction score
Thanks again lads, I am intending too fish a small live/deadbait using a single hook rig, The main reason i posted was too see if there was a suitable trace material for perching bearing in mind theres a good few pike in the river im fishing, Without wanting too leave a hook in a pikes mouth unneccasarily, The other reason was im trying to present a bait as normally as can be achieved without a poor presentation i felt the normal piking traces i use causing.

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
Zed Thread. It used to be available from Harris, although now they've been gobbled up by Sportsmail they seem to have got a bit crapper. Very fine multi strand wire. If you are worried about any stiffness hindering the movement of your baits, incporate a micro swivel four inches from the hook. But I really wouldn't worry about using mono. If you are terribly concerned about leaving hooks in pike, why not use a barbless hook with a baitsaver or a bit of red rubber band to keep the bait on.

S

sash

A wire trace will put perch off when live/deadbaiting, FACT, but I can also see why one should use wire in pike inhabited waters.

Z thread is manufactured by Masterline, Supatress is available from various stores, try Brundall or Leslies (it is quite silvery but can be coloured), Catlink from Cat Pro (on the web via the Catfish Conservation Group website). I've also used some really fine american wire, about 10lb BS, which is superb but I can't remember what it is called. Might be worthwhile trawling the Cabelas or Bass Pro websites in the States to have a look.

Don't bother with the likes of quicksilver, a pike will go through that easily despite what some anglers have written about over the years.

Paul T

Reaction score
Steve try using Pro-leader armoured leader material it is soft thin and can be knotted. Use harris angling or sportfish.

captain carrott

Reaction score
A wire trace will put perch off when live/deadbaiting, FACT

what brought you to this conclusion.

it's just not some thing that i've found even with big 3's.

S

sash

I'm not saying you won't catch, but you'll catch a hell of a lot more without a trace. Same as zander. Doesn't mean I don't use a trace on 90% of the venues I fish though, purely because of the pike factor.

Not just my findings. Most of the UK Perchfishers and probably every single decent predator angler in Holland, Germany, Spain and France too.

captain carrott

Reaction score
must just be me then, having fished them side by side on different rods and not seen a drop in catches.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've been messing around with Krystone Quicksilver and Fox Armacord. Both are armoured braid materials - mainly used by carp anglers as a shockleader.

I think they're probably better than wires because there's no need for the swivels, crimps and so on.

Having said that, my experience with perch so far has shown that I can normally expect perch to have a livebait as soon as it's introduced into a swim. More often than not I've had the line pulled from my fingers as I clip on the bobbin. Therefore I think it's more important to keep moving swims than it is to mess with trace materials.

S

sash

"I can normally expect perch to have a livebait as soon as it's introduced into a swim" and "Therefore I think it's more important to keep moving swims"

I think that venue type and time of year plays a very large role in this Matt.