Coated braid stripping tool?

sam vimes

Reaction score
What's recommended and what's not? I'll be buying blind so would appreciate the nod as to what's good and what's not.

The three I've found so far are Nash, Korda and Gardner.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I can't do the teeth thing any longer which is exactly why I'm looking for a tool for the job.;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot speak for the other two but I bought, and very much regretted, the Korda version.

I got two of them at the same time thinking to keep one and use the other.

First time out used and broke the first one.

Back at home I tried the other one, and lo and behold, I used it on two lengths before that too broke. The blade bent too far back and whe ntrying to straighten out, it broke!

I now use my nails and teeth to separate.

bigchub

Reaction score
Thumbnail or teeth for most. Kryston Snake Bite is tough stuff but Sufix Sheath Skin is lovely to work with if not quite a stiff a Snake Bite.

dannytaylor

Reaction score
just strip it with your teeth, another money making gimmick. Or if no teeth suck it off LOL

Philip

Reaction score
If you have trouble stripping it back stick the end of your line in your hot flask of tea for a few seconds to soften the plastic coating and then it strips off really easily with your thumb nail.

Rog Hill

Reaction score
I use an old adjustable wire stripper. Works a treat but obviously heavier and bulkier than that Nash disc, which if it works looks a good un.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks for all the "use your teeth" suggestions. And some folks say that most people don't read posts on forums properly!:rolleyes:;):p