elasticate

david3092

Reaction score
hi i have just been able to buy a middy universal no 3 top kit can anyone advise as to the best way to elasticate it please

W

Wolfman Woody

I've just put in an article to Graham on how to elasticate top sections. Don't know when it will go up though.

Meanwhile, this was Mark Wintle's version.

W

Wolfman Woody

Personally, I'd use an external bush as you'll not need to cut so much of the tips.

What strength elastic were you going to use, any ideas?

W

Wolfman Woody

Either should be good enough for most carp providing you play them sensibly.

If a carp goes shooting off, just stick the pole under the surface and like a little doggy it will come back.

Tips: Buy the elastic first and one with a diameter on it.
Then buy the bush and check that the inner diameter is big enough to take the elastic. Allow .04-.06mm extra, ie.: for a 1.3mm elastic choose a 1.7mm minimum bush.
Any bung will do so long as it will fit in the bottom of the top kit. If it hasn't got an adjuster on (as seen in Mark's photos) don't worry. If it's too big, you cut it back.
When you tie the elastic onto the bung, put the bung in a big 12" loop so that the last 10" or so of elastic are doubled. This provides a bit of a safety net.
When you tie on the Stonfo (that should also be matched to strength of elastic) pull it tight, with the bung fully inserted, but without stretching it - and then stretch it another 6-8inches. this will give you enough strength to return the elastic after catching a fish. If it doesn't you can always re-tie the Stonfo.

Or wait until my piece on margin poles comes out and see the pictures.