Reels?

B

Butcher Boy

What reels are you using?
What are the good points, bad points?
Would you recommend them?

N

Nicky Garbutt

ive heard the new baitrunners are right grinders so avoid them.

R

Rob Brownfield

Original Aero Baitrunners from Shimano in 4000 and 4500 sizes, both normal and GT versions. Good reels, although I have shattered two on fast running fish....and they now cant be fixed as there are no spare bodies available.

Newer, but not the latest Baitrunners 8010GT's size..again, good reels overall.

All the shimanos are now beginning to make some strange noises inside...but I think they just need greasing.

Abu Cardinal C5's. lovely reel for lighter carping and floater fishing. Smooth, solid, fantastic clutch, but the line lay could be better

Speedia Centre Pin for float fishing and stalking. Good reel, still going strong. Also used for trotting.

J W Young Centre pin for Float fishing and stalking in snags etc. Worth all the ?250. Fantastic, solid, quality reel that has landed me fish over 20 pounds.

Abu Cardina 754's, originals, now only used for light carping and tench. Smooth clutch.

Massive Daiwa Black Diamond sea reel for spodding and feature finding..heavy, grinds a lot, but for winging out spods, its great

P

Paul Gallagher

Diawa emblem-x ABS 5000, i just cant fault them!

C

Carp Angler

I've got 3 of them and they really are superb, although you can't really get the clutch to slacken right off.

S

Stephen Booth

Hi i use the shimano LC baitrunners, there are one of the best purchases i have ever made. i love em!!!

C

Chris Bishop

What do you lot reckon to the new Baitrunners - had 'em a couple of months and reckon they're awful. The spool slips when you're winching anything in, so line lay's awful.

P

Paul Thompson

Butch,
Have been using the Shimano big pit LC baitrunners for a season now. Fantastic in all areas except weight, but thats a minor quibble.Some say they unbalance their rods but i haven't had that problem.
I would recommend them wholeheartedly...

S

Stan Burges

i use the older emblem 5000t's, brilliant reels, great clutch,they balance and work with my dictators A1.i wouldn't swap them for anything....until my mate got 3 new emblem x abs.i had a cast and got 10 to 15 yards further than i can with my own reels.i dont know if 10 yards is worth forking out ?400???

A

andrew jackson

Shimano 6210Gts I have had these reels a good few years, other than a few scratches they are just like the day I got them.

C

Chris Bishop

What gets me is this differential pricing - Daiwa make near-identical versions of their reels for foreign markets retail a lot cheaper abroad.

For some reason British anglers get charged a premium.

R

Rob Brownfield

And whats more Chris, the same tackle shop will advertise the reel in Carp world etc as say ?120, but in Sea Angler they advertise the same reel at ?100. Makes me laugh. As I think you are already aware, if you want braid, soft lures, swivels etc you are better off going to a shop advertised in a sea mag...always much cheaper.

D

David Will

Shimano 3500GT (seaspin types)Heavy feeder work / Tench Bream Barbel Zander
Shimano 4500GT as above Piking and river Carping
Suverans Roach Perch Tench
ABU 5501 C4 Heavy lures glide/jerks/rubbers.
6501 Ultracasts Boat Piking
Biomasters 700OGT Carping on pits sometimes long chuck Piking and Zandering
ABU Cardinal 54 light river work.

R

Rob Brownfield

David, I was thinking of a Suveran for spinning, but when I looked at them, I thought the spools were ver narrow and that they wernt as smooth as the ?140+ price tag would suggest. What do u think of them having used them?

T

Tony O'dell

For feeder fishing for medium size fish
Shimano 3000 GTM's ( One with fighting drag
For float fishing for medium size fish
Shimano 1000 GTM's ( One with fighting drag
For general carp/pike
Shimano 5000 GTM Baitrunner ( The new ones, i think i got the name correct)
For Drifting/Big Pit Carp
A big silver shimano reel, not the biomaster. They are currently tucked away somewhere they get used that infrequently!!!
Cant remember the name of them!
Find all the reels perform very well, but only general comment is the bit pit reels arent the nicest reels in the world to fish with, but this is a common issue with all big pit reels.