why now and never before.

uscarper

Reaction score
i usually go to my favorite carp spot every weekend. its a public state park stream below a large dam and lake. its loaded with carp and no one else ever fishes for them. ive done this for several years now, and the fishing is great. sweetcorn and homemade doughbait works great. i fish 2 rods and there are very few snags and weeds. there are 3 spots i fish, but this one spot the last 4 times ive been there ive had double runs on my rods. this has never happened in my fishing ever. it only happens in this one spot, not the other 2. first spot last sunday caught 15lb common then hooked another but hook pulled. moved to this spot. hooked 10lb common which by the way had only 1 eye, no socket or anything. while fighting it the 2nd rod goesgot the 10lb netted and fought the other a 6lb full scale mirror. cant really figure out why here and why now.:confused:

uscarper

Reaction score
yes the carp were always there befor i started baiting it with sweetcorn. i only bait this spot when i'm fishing never any other time. i baited a spot in our local river and saw some nice carp there, but as luck would have it the local kids made it there swimming hole. cant blame them i was young once to:D last week was tough still had a double run though a 8lb 9oz and a 4lb both commons. i saw approx. 60 carp in this stream. perhaps a 500 yd stretch. really had to work for them though. temps have been in the high 90's for 3 weeks. most were just sunning below the surface and it took about 2 hrs to get the 2 bites i got. this past weekend it cool off into 70's and a little rain. fish were feeding everywhere. the 15lb was bronze color with bright orange on bottom of tail. the 1 eyed carp and full scale mirror were black no orange on tail. wonder if they could be different sub species ? i don't know much about different types of carp, only that there are several. still trying for my 20 lber though 17lb the best so far this year.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Have you tried surface fishing when they're cruising near the top, probably one of the most 'electric' ways of stalking and catching a carp. Also, as you'll only be using one rod, you shouldn't have any double takes.;)

beerweasel

Reaction score
I totally agree with BarbelBoi, the cure to your double take problem is to fish one rod or don't bait the second rod.
I hope hope you can solve this. ;)

uscarper

Reaction score
i have never tried surface fishing for carp, it sounds like alot of fun. i will try to get them feeding on some bread crust. i fish two rods but only in this spot, there are no snags here. the other 2 spots do have the potential for a fish to get into a couple sunken logs. its just 1 rod in these areas. i do look out for there well being. most people here hate them and could care less, but i love em. they bring me alot of joy after a hard week at work.:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
i have never tried surface fishing for carp, it sounds like alot of fun. i will try to get them feeding on some bread crust. i fish two rods but only in this spot, there are no snags here. the other 2 spots do have the potential for a fish to get into a couple sunken logs. its just 1 rod in these areas. i do look out for there well being. most people here hate them and could care less, but i love em. they bring me alot of joy after a hard week at work.:)

They say a picture says a thousand words, and I don't type very quickly, so take a look at this guy who may have a bright future:wh. Many (including myself) will develop a slightly different way to suit their style of fishing but if you have never surface fished before this may be of some help.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_7J-68S2Gs&feature=related"]ESP's Terry Hearn: Floater Fishing for Carp - Rig Set-Up - YouTube[/ame]

uscarper

Reaction score
thanks barbelboi, yes this helps alot. i'm like you. i get a basics about a certain way to fish. and then kind of put my own twist on it. this is one reason i love fishing, always something new to learn. its very satisfying to experiment with something and make it work. thanks again.

uscarper

Reaction score
went tonite for a couple hours, just 1 a 5lb common on sweetcorn. will try floating some crust sunday. fish were rolling on top. let you know what happens.