The effect of frost on small river fishing

James Ferguson 2

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone knew how much a frost,particulary a 1st Autumn frost would effect the fishing the following day? Are the fish totally put off feeding or 'take it on the chin' with perhaps a little finesse needed in presentation?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Depends what you are going for James.Grayling and dace are a little more temperature resistant, roach less so.Are you looking at the forecast for this weekend by any chance?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Apart from the species Nigel mentions, the first frosts usually spell a drop-off in bites, with the evening being a better time to fish than the morning.

In a few weeks time most species will have settled to the new temperature lows and be feeding more consistently again, although rarely with the same appetite as they have through the warmer months, except on really mild days when they can feed very actively for a spell.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The question of lower temperatures on small streams is an intersting one.As they are more shallow they cool down quicker but conversely they presumably heat up quicker?

A lot of wirters recommend the shallower sections of rivers on cold days for this reason.It seems counter-intuitive though ,and why is it the case that fish appear to migrate to deeper stretches in winter?

I would add to what Graham says in that feeding rates need to be cut accordingly, and as fish are more torpid in the lower temperatures, a legered bait is more effective.I have done well with winter chub using a tiny feeder taking about a dozen maggots and a single red maggot on a size 20.

James Ferguson 2

Reaction score
It'll be the first time fishing this river so I'll have no previous form to go on.Roach will be principal target with a chunk of Mackerel out for a chub on the second rod

Paul T

Reaction score
On the river I fish frost or a sudden temperature change does slow fishing down. Yet after a few days of a cold period the fish seem to re-adjust and feed again. But take care a lighter approach may be needed

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Frosts are usually the result of when an Anticyclone or in otherwords when high pressure becomes anchored over the UK and with high pressure this usually means clear skys at night and bright sunny days. The combination of the two means fishing in the daytime can be a real struggle on a small river.

The fish will eventually become used to the cold conditions, but I find the use of fine or fluorocarbon lines fished link-ledger style with a sensitive quiver rod will increase your chances of getting those elusive bites. My favourite rod for this type of fishing is the Drennan IM8 Bomb rod with the final foot of the quiver painted white, because when the conditions can be hard going in the middle of the day, the final hour of daylight with the light fading can be the best time to get that bite from a big roach or chub

R

Robert Woods 1

Graham,
How would frosts effect River Dane barbel. I know fishing will slow down but they have got to feed sometime.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Same as anywhere Robert, as soon as they're settled to it they feed all through winter, and feed well on the milder, coloured water days. Caught plenty of winter barbel from the Dane.

B

Bully

LoL - writing this post on 1st Nov, which is when James started it, and we are saying what will happen when the first "Autumn frost" comes..........

My dahlias are still in full bloom!!

marcus ballam

Reaction score
When the frosts hit my local streams, i tend to use ledgered lob worms, no loose fed. Just casting into each deep hole, keeping VERY mobile to keep my feet from freezing. Caught some fantastic chub and perch this way.