Talking of fish-ins

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

An Isaak Walton Fish In?

There are several venues for such a wonderful occasion. Our River Idle venue would be perfect.

The most important thing here is that we must all be dressed in 17th century clothes, big hats, doublets and large white collars.

Each of us must play a role. If you like I will be Piscator and Graham - Venator. We could easily select the other roles from the others most suitable.

Tackle would be willow branches cut from a tree with horsehair lines and hooks made from bone. Baits would be anything we could find in the countryside.

We could get the landlord at the Inn to supply copious quantities of mead and good ale. Wendy could be a milkmaid!

Come on. what about it? Let's get into the spirit of the thing.

I await you comments with great anticipation.

matt

Reaction score
I'll just come to the Inn to slap the milkmaids bottom.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Tackle would be willow branches cut from a tree with horsehair lines . . . "

Oh, you mean like that pole you bought Ron?

b.t.w. when are you going to put your money where your mouth is and get on down here for that Roach match that you challenged me to?

The venue has had a major Carp 'problem' with the result that the Roach and Rudd are in terrific condition and matches are being won with weights over 20 pounds.

Matt,

I'd hate to be in your boots when Wendy reads what you have just written - whoa - are you going to be in trouble - nosiree I'd hate to be a Matt right about now :)

R

Actually I've been thinking it all out.

Ed will be "Honest" Coriden the shepherd who loved to sleep with Venator on sheets scented with lavender.

Baz will be the evil landowner who screams "geh orrf moi laand".

Brummie will be Auceps who parades around with a dirty great big hawk on his arm.

Wendy will be Maudlin the milkmaid who sings so prettily for all of us:

"Come live with me and be my love,
And we shall all the pleasures prove."

The Monk shall be "Br. Constantinious of The Most Noble Order of The Lute" who will join Honest Maudlin on his lute as they sing a number of ancient madrigals.

To cap it all there shall be Morris Dancing to finish the afternoon.

Aye and yes in the evening afore we depart there shall be a good witch burning, Br Constantinious to supply a Ruffe Slapper for this noble ceremony.

What think you?

D

DAN.

glad that im in fresh from the pub and am reading this thread half razzed....

buuuurrrrrp......

sick, errrr my misses is gonna kill me!

S

Sean Meeghan

Who's Morris? Don't fancy that part - can't dance won't dance!

R

On meeting the milkmaids.....

Pisc:

God speed you good woman! I have been a-fishing, and I am going to Bleak Hall to my bed, and having caught more fish than I will sup myself and my friend, I will bestow this upon you and your daughter.

Milk Wife:

Marry! God requite you sir, and we'll eat it cheerfully. And if you come this way a-fishing two months hence, a grace of God! I'll give you a syllabub of new verjuice, in a new made haycock for it. And my Maudlin shall sing you one of her best ballads; for she and me love all anglers, they be such honest, civil, quiet men. In the meantime will you drink a draught of red cows milk? you shall have it freely.

Can you imagine coming home today with a nice fresh trout or perch and presenting it to the lady of your house?

"What the f**k's that?"

Is perhaps what you would get.

They were far more civilised in those days.

R

Morris Dancing Sean is a fine old English tradition.

I am surprised you know so little of it.

Have none of you ever read The Compleat Angler?

I know several chapters off by heart.

No culture the lot of you.

Call yourselves anglers......

Dear dear dear!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

In the words of the ancient bard :

"F**k me" said the duchess
--and the Duke (knowing her mode of speech)
grabbed her by the fleshy part of her arse, and slipped her on, like a well worn sea boot