A Passion For Pike – Part 2

D

David Tovey

Congratulations Gary on a well written article.
Timely and informative. Well done

G

Gary Knowles

Cheers David - glad you enjoyed it.

The next few articles will concentrate on the multitude of methods available to catch these fine fish.....

G

Gary Knowles

What are we doing in the sea fishing section though ? ? ?

D

David Tovey

Gary, the reply automatically directed the thread into sea fishing.
Best you speak to G M and let him make ammends. Your efforts here deserve to be exposed to all predator anglers.

D

David Tovey

Goodness Graham.
The speed of responce is astounding !!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Davey, you have to choose the section from the drop-down menu. It defaults to the sea section if you don't make a choice.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Fast enough to snaffle your cheese paste though.

G

Gary Dixon

As a new member and a novice fisherman all information on pike fishing is greatfully recieved.
Thanks very much.
Kind Regards
GARY.p.s. still waiting for that 20lb fish

G

Gary Knowles

Gary - Like the guiness advert says "The best things come to those who wait"..........

and its true when you do finally slip the net under that mammoth 20lber it will have all been worthwhile

Graham - fast enough to nick the paste, but not fast enough to notice what it was made of, eh ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Not yet, still waiting for the analysis to come back on the bit I saved .

R

Rob Brownfield

Gary..the picture regarding wading out then dropping the bait was very poinient to me. My local water I have several swims just like that. One swim in particular is amazing. I first discovered this drop off when wading with the fly rod. On my next visit I took a couple of deadbait rods and waded out until I felt the bottom dropping away. One rod i just dropped straight off the rod tip...the other, I moved left a few yards and swung the bait out about 3 rod lengths, to the bottom of the slop in about 8 feet of water.

Next came the problem...I use Fireline Braid, which comes in 125 yards spools...so...I started to wade back to the bacnk...that I though was perhaps 80 yards away....about 15 yards short of the bank, I ran out of line! I ended up having to set the rods up on there rests, in waist high water, about 40 yards out.

It was worth it though, 6 doubles in an afternoon...all from the bottom of the slope.

It really pays to find out where those drop offs are...no matter how u find them.

Oh..another thing...sometimes, when winding baits back across the shallows, I had Pike hit the bait when in no more than 18 inches of water.

G

Gary Knowles

Rob,

The only thing I didn't really like about dropping baits at distance is I found I need really heavy leads (3-4oz minimum) in order to tighten up effectivelly otherwise there was a huge bow in the line cased by the wind or undertow. Obviously when fishing at distance you need to be direct to your bait or there is a risk of the indicator de-sensitising and a chance of a deep hooked fish.

When I was walking a bait out on the pit shown in the photograph one day a guy walking his dog nearly passed out - he though it was the second coming and I was walking on water !

I told him I'm good -but not that good !!!!

C

Chris Bishop

Braid's a problem because it floats up in the water, especially if you've got a lot of it out.

I've had several "missed" runs - alarm bleeps, line comes out of clip, pick rod up and it slowly tightens, nothing there - which I think are liners, where fish swim into the line which carries on floating back to the top after it's been pulled out of the clip.

The only way I've found to overcome wind drag is use a heavy weight, preferably a flat-sided one.

Three or four oz might be necessary but this can present problems hooking fish unless you use it semi-fixed, where it probably helps because it pricks the fish.

You could - if you wanted a free-running set-up - use one of those bouyant stem things. Contrary to popular belief, they don't stand up all the while, onbligingly waiting for a fish to come along and take your bait.

They lie flat pointing towards you when you tighten down.

When a fish pulls the line out of the clip, how ever, the stems do stand up.

I suppose Rob could also use a sinking braid but I daresay a lot of his waters are quite rocky which is why he uses Fireline.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris..I use the fireline because of the extreme range I fish when wading out baits. I know I can set the hooks at 100 yards + This particular water is infact very sandy...which is rare up here. It has a few stumps and rocks sticking out, but 99.9% of this bit of the loch is pure sand.

I use a 3oz lead which seems fine, and I dont seem have a problem with floating braid in the very shallow water.

On some other lochs though, in the deeper stuff, the braids floating qualities are of great use, as, it keepd it away from the weed and boulders.

One thing I did notice thoughm was that when first using this braid, I had several un explained snap offs on hitting the fish. This was on 30 pound Fireline. I "think" what it is, is that because the braid is in shallow water, there is virtually no water drag on it when I lift the rod...on a 100 yard hit, I perhaps have 80 yards of line in the air when hitting the fish. I think the know was taking a sudden increase in strain and just going.

Now I just tighten up and let the fish hook itself...with the rod half pointing at the fish...and I have had not problems.

C

Chris Bishop

The only braid I've ever bust (to my shame...) was 30lb Whiplash, which went while I was playing one a few months back. I thought it took me round a bit of metal on the bottom or something but it could have been Ron Clay's evil eye.

I've never managed to break Fireline, but it does some strange things. You certainly get a lot more liners using it.

I don't see how being in the air would bust it, if anything being pulled through the air would be less resistance than being pulled through water.