Stones for free?

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Over to someone like Mr. Hackett to devise a cost free alternative to the use of real pebbles etc.as leads. The new systems look great, but I'm not paying for them. Tried drilling into a pebble?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I find the same problem Paul. The only thing I can think of is to araldite a piece of rig tubing to the pebble, and put the swivel in the tubing.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
yes come on lads how can we make these for nowt. someone must have ideas leads are not cheap.ive used superglue to put a swivel on a pebble in the past,but thats not in line and it wasnt that secure.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I've yet to find a drill that will go through a stone though I believe there are places in the country where there are much softer pebbles.

I reckon that Pallatrax manufacture the stones with the hole already in and providing you can make the right size moulds it shouldn't be difficult to copy, its getting the ingredients right.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

...or in otherwords, an inline set up but with a stone instead of a weight.

I really cannot accept that a fish has the necessary powers of recognition to distinguish one hard inert object for another.

I konw that have had success on heavily fished waters so maybe there is something in it, but I really will take some persuasion.

E

Eric Hayes

I'm with Nigel on this. The River bed is festooned with all kinds of crap. I think it's just more useless stuff that manufacturers are targeting us with. And are fish really that bright that they can tell the difference between an Ardsley bomb and a pebble? I certainly don?t think so.

On the subject of making some, I did make some with the swivel in. I just drilled out some sandstone Pebbles with a tungsten drill then used the dust mixed with Araldite to secure the swivel. I can?t say they increased my catch rate but I only used them on the river. I dare say you could drill right through some pebbles and insert a thin plastic tube like the kind you find in lollipops. Obviously some pebbles are harder than others so it would be a case of finding the right type, something that wont kill your drill bit after drilling only a few pebbles.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Two pebbles side by side sandwiching the stiff tube for inline

Two pebbles with leadcore and swivel for conventional

I make a few would a mini article with instructions be helpful?

E

Eric Hayes

Lee you could pad it out and turn it into a series. ;o)

How are you for a guest ticket on the 14th?
If you don't get sorted Email me..

Beecy

Reaction score
cant you just disguise a normal bomb ?

cover it with polyfiller, cement,clay, or maybe they do stone texture paints in diy shops?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nick, but you would have to ensure the gravel came from the river you were fishing as surely the fish would tell something was wrong if not?

W

Wolfman Woody

You tight wads!

Graham busts a gut testing all these new inventions and all you lot can do is scoff at the price and find ways of making do with second rate rubbish. :eek:)

Got to say though on our stretch there's that much lead (and Charlie's wheel nuts) that others have lost I doubt that the barbel give a damn any more. Nick's idea sounds good though.

Ever thought when you look across a pebble covered beach why there are pebbles there? Because they're so damned hard they haven't broken down into sand yet, therefore they're going to be near impossible to drill. Same with pebbles in the ground.

Edited for spelling or typing - whatever.