Elusive chub

Paul T

Reaction score
I fish a difficult river in east Yorkshire (river Hull).It is tidal, mostly muddy, and no two days are the same. Among other fish it contains a small amount of chub, they are hardly if ever caught at all. I am fishing up at arram were a few captures have been made over the years... I adopt a roving approach which has worked for other fish. Overhanging trees, weed rafts,undercuts, does not produce chub I dont know why. which baits and methods would you use?

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

You tried fishing after dark with bread flake after baiting several swims with massed bread?

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
like phil says mashed bread and flake or crust

lob worms always a good bait especially at dusk

bl00dy steak & mince can be a good catcher or raw liver and minced sausage meat

ledgered smelly cheese paste

smelly fish paste

it may take a bit of pre-baitng to get the best results.

Paul T

Reaction score
Yes i often fish well into dark but when it gets realy dark bites dry up. which as we know goes against the rules! Usualy catch a barbel or two, or ide at sundown or one hour after.... Must admit I dont have much confidence in mashed bread having never caught on it, how good is it? Never seen it used on this river I tried it last week never had a touch, tried luncheon meat had three tentative bites(touch ledgering) both taking the meat so gentley almost like a well trained dog! I even felt the meat come off. could this be chub?.....Next bite big pull, result, small barbel. Yet i was feeding mashed bread never had bites on crust or flake.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
they obviously like a bit of meat,try pushing your hook through the meat then turn to a angle put a maggot on the bend of the hook then push the point back into the meat , this might help prevent the meat comming off too easy (sucked off by the chub [Oi take that dirty mind and return to the Baitbox] as it mouths the bait)

(ps..any crude or rude inferences derived from the text above is unintentional and in the mind of the reader only !!)

Paul T

Reaction score
So chavender do you think they were chub? or could it of been barbel you lads seem to do well with chub, wish there were more round here!

Ricky

Reaction score
Try mixing a few halibut pelets with some mashed bread,and maybe a few pieces of spicy luncheon meat.I fish the River Aire at Keightley,and generally feed 5 or 6different swims,fishing them in rotation.It is not a greatly populated stretch,but the chub run to 5lb.You just have to persevere

Paul T

Reaction score
Thanks everybody this is all excelent info! how much bait would you put in each swim, i dont want to over feed do I?

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Hi Paul, have asked around, as you will know if you're fishing it, lots of cold, dirty water pushing through at the moment, with lots of weed rafts,...and very big tides, all the baits mentioned above are being used, but especially paste, and casters, with 'big' stick and pole 'feeder' tactics, When the flow stops, light feeder. May be an idea to stop the roving, and fish a likely spot for the full session, see if they'll come to you. Alternatively, wait for the lower tides.

Best wishes.

Paul T

Reaction score
Thanks Merv great to hear from you tides were bad last week almost into the field,with winds lifting the rod from the front rest. A lot of anglers had to give up, presentation almost impossible for them having to deal with white topped waves! the only way i could deal with it was to dump the tip of the rod and touch ledger (fantastic method of fishing). The only safe place i could fish was the cattle drink near eske, it is still producing good fish even in those conditions. I must be mad dont you just love fishing!

Paul T

Reaction score
Tried to send you an e-mail merv, dont know if it got through.