Christmas is coming

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

And I think I'me going to go for the all-new Canon EOS 400D SLR camera.

It seems to be the DBs with its 10.1 megapixel resolution and complete simplicity of operation.

Not only that but you can get some excellent deals on these cameras from Dixons or Jessops.

I am only interested in buying this camera from a proper distributor so don't put me onto obscure websites who probably sell counterfeits at cheapy prices.

Anyone else got one of these?

And no I cannot afford a Nikon D200, I don't have Graham's mighty wallet.

captain carrott

Reaction score
And no I cannot afford a Nikon D200, I don't have Graham's mighty wallet.

you would be able to if you bought it form 7day shop or pixmania.

R

And it won't be the real thing!

R

7 Day shop looks decidedly dodgy and they don't have the 400D.

The other mob don't look much better and the deal on the camera is the same as Jessops near enough.

I'll stick with my tried and trusted camera suppliers of the past.

Paul T

Reaction score
Merv I need your help, being from east yorkshire do you know river hull? please look at Elusive chub Paul t . thanks

captain carrott

Reaction score
it's funny how so many people think different ron.
many people who use this site would recommend them

I

Ian Cloke

I've heard nothing but good reports about Pixmania, but I can't comment on 7day shop as I'd never heard of them prior to this thread.

M

MarkTheSpark

I've got a D200, courtesy of my former boss's mighty wallet, but though it's superb, it's not a fishing camera.

I used to use a Fuji FinePix SLR-type zoom thing that was just the DBs - not too big, too heavy, or too complex, good lens, no danger of getting dust in the body... perfect fishing camera.

Only hod carriers should use D200s - add a couple of good zoom lenses to the kit and you're heading for the osteopath.

captain carrott

Reaction score
mr monk once gave me all his cameras to hold.
my knees gave way and i couldn't get up off the carpet.

W

Wolfman Woody

I've bought from 7 day shop before, Rik recommended it I think.

Ron's worse than the brummie character of Harry Enfield's - "An oyve got money than yow!"

You know the scrotes around Rotherham should certainly know who's house to rob.

captain carrott

Reaction score
an s7000 or s5000 or some thing like that probably mark.
i've got an s7000 and i love it.

the best thing about ron is he thinks expensive means good, he's a salesmans dream.

especially if it's a reputable( for that read last years technology at next years technology prices) shop.

R

I agree with you Mark about the Nikon D200. I used Graham's a few days ago and although it is a dream to use, so simple too, it's like having a blinkin Hobbinfoot around your neck.

My friend Matt Brown has a 350D Canon which is a hell of a lot lighter.

I will of course keep my Canon G6 which is fine for fishing stuff. I am keen to take up some serious photography next year when I retire. Mainly landscape work.

I did a lot of that for a number of magazines in SA, including wildlife stuff.

Mind you, SA is a wild life photographers dream.

B

Barry Edney

I've dealt with Pixmania in the past. The website said that the camera I wanted was out of stock and they will be getting them in on the 10th. (say) The 10th came, I checked the website and they said it will be in on the 12th. The 12th came... same thing. This went on for about 2 weeks. When they finally arrived I called them to place an order over the phone. I wanted the camera and an extra memory card and a case. "No problem," the bird tells me, "we have them all in stock." About half hour later the phone rings... "Hello, its Bill here from Pixmania despatch, I'm just calling to say that your order has been picked and will be collected by DHL this evening." Great, you don't get that kinda service from other places. Anyhoo, when DHL finally deliver my package, (they cocked up too) there's NO camera! Just a memory card and a case! What use are they? Tried calling Pixmania and I couldn't get through for a couple of days. When I did finally get through the girl informs me the camera is out of stock! Even though the girl I spoke to originally and the despatch fella both said they were in stock. AND..... they had taken the money for the camera off my credit card when I placed the original order. I had to wait another couple of weeks for the camera.

Pixmania?????? A RIGHT SHOWER OF SHITE!

You stick with Jessops, Ron.

S

Sean Meeghan

Ron have a look at Amazon. Just got a Canon A640 from them. They were almost the cheapest price, free postage and delivered in 3 days.

R

You are right Barry. I don't care what anyone says, but when I buy something of value I prefer to talk to, or to eyeball a proper person, preferably someone behind a counter.

I truly hate these websites that have no contact phone number. I hate giving my card details via cyberspace to a machine with no name!!

T

The Monk

Jessops are a load of crap mate, dont use them

and buy yourself a D2H, much better than the D200, I use the D200 for knocking about with but the D2 is the baby
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/

anyway I`ve go me new guitar on order a signature 7VWH white Jem, simply made in heaven

R

Nikon D2H!!!!!!

The blinkin thing is nearly 2 damned grand and you have to buy lenses on top of it.

Who the flipping heck do you think I am - Rockerfeller?

W

Wolfman Woody

"anyway I`ve go me new guitar on order a signature 7VWH white Jem, simply made in heaven"

Come in handy for chopping onions on I suppose.