CALL FOR ACTION AS SURVEYS SHOW RISE IN SEALS' FISH CONSUMPTION

I

Ian Cloke

Concerned fishermen are calling on the Scottish Executive to "manage" the west coast's booming grey seal population, after it was revealed that their fish consumption is soaring.

The call comes after a study showed that a change in diet over the past 20 years means the area's grey seals are now eating three times more haddock and herring.

And the research, produced by the Sea Mammal Research Unit at the University of St Andrews for the Scottish Executive and Scottish Natural Heritage, leaves unanswered questions over whether the seals' changing diet is limiting the ability of some dwindling fish stocks to recover.

John Hermse, secretary of Mallaig and North West Fishermen's Association, insisted he was not calling for a seal cull, but for the Scottish Executive to take responsibility and look at the best way of managing the situation.

Mr Hermse said: "The industry has said for years that the problem should be looked at.

"Basically, fishermen are always seen as the baddies when it comes to fish mortality and declining fish stocks, but, if you dare mention seals as predators, there is hell to pay.

"The Scottish Executive is always ready to blame the industry and legislate against us. They never consider the problem of seals being responsible for any fish mortality.

"Some of these things should be taken into account when fish mortality is considered, to see where the fish are going."

He added: "There is a burgeoning population of seals. They used to be culled before, but it is politically sensitive to even mention that these days.

"But I really do think they should look at what the options are for the management of the population."

Grey seal numbers have been increasing steadily since the late 1970s, with the end of seal culls. Annual surveys of pup production indicate an increase from about 29,000 in 1985 to about 42,000 in 2002.

The seals used to eat more sand eels but a shortage of these - which some experts think is due to climate change as the marine food chain shifts in search of cooler waters - has seen them supplementing their diet with more fish.

In 2002, the grey seal population off the west coast ate an estimated 77,000 tonnes of fish, compared to 53,000 tonnes in 1985.

Their estimated consumption of herring was up from 2,700 tonnes to 12,200 tonnes; haddock up from 1,500 tonnes to 6,600 tonnes; and their cod consumption increased from 5,400 tonnes to 7,100 tonnes.

Deputy Environment Minister Rhona Brankin said the newly published study provided the best estimates to date of grey seal diet.

She said: "The findings of the study will be presented to the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea to consider the implications for annual assessment of fish stocks and to the European Commission to inform the review of the cod recovery plan."

Grey seals are protected under the EU Habitats Directive 1992 and 90% of the UK's population - which equates to 30% of the world's population - lives in Scottish waters.

T

Terry D

But they're so cute and cuddly, just like otters. Somehow I don't think we're going to get far with this one.

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

Ian, I?m sure the Seals didn?t bring about the looming catastrophe being predicted in your other found report. No more fish to eat??.

Sustainable exploitation and all it component parts seems to be being missed here!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Phil, what about the seals reading FM to find the best spots?

P

I know they can perform but I'm not aware anybody has taught them to use a computer as yet!

And clearly they must know all the best spots already, else the "fishermen? wouldn't be complaining would they?

So do they really need FM?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Seals, like other creatures, including east Europeans, don't really need FM.

I

Ian Cloke

So should we look for seals, before starting to fish? If they know the best spots;-)

P

Wrong! Seals live there EE don't nor do Trawlermen.