trolling

K

Krasimir Bacargiev

I always wonder how to determine the depth i'm trolling my lure at, especially if i'm using spoond and spinners (crankbaits usually bear some information). And when piking, through different season which is the best depth? Also isn't bottom bouncing a bit dangerous for your lure? What about snags, etc.? And is it better to troll rowing or with an outboard motor? I've read somewhere that rowing makes plugs perform more life-like. Knowing, that you are experts, i hope you can give me some advices. Thanks :)))

R

Rob Brownfield

Hi again...As you will probably know already, the depth of the spoon depends on the distance it is from the back of the boat, and the thickness and type of line. The way i found out was to use an echo sounder....then...if I was in 2 metres of water and the spoon was hitting bottom, I made a not of how far back i was fishing...so...next time out, i knew that that particular spoon fished 2 metres deep at 30 metres behind the boat...if that makes sense.

On the waters u describe in your e mail, i dont think u have to worry too much about depth in different seasons. The Pike will come up for a big lure.

I think trolling with oars can be better as there is more variation on speed when rowing...the lures speed up and slow down with each pull of the oars.

As for bottom bouncing....try using some of the rubber baits like Shads on a jig hook.

Hope this helps...by the way, do you fish for the Carp in Bulgaria too?