Cheese Paste.

Disco stu

Reaction score
I made some really strong cheese paste last year, sealed it in plastic bags inside tupperware containers and put it in the fridge meaning to give it a bash for Nene and Ouse chub but I had a stomach ulcer burst and couldnt get out.
The questions are, will it be ok to use? (I have a load of it) and what is the best way of keeping it on the hook or hair as I always think it has fallen off and end up losing confidence.
It would be a shame to sling it away as you can smell for miles.

L

Les Clark

Disco , to use on a hair ,put a couple of bits of maize on first and then wrap the paste around the maize .

Disco stu

Reaction score
Good idea Les, I was looking at some metal coils but I thought if they came off they may cause damage to the chubs stomach.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
yoggy is the man to ask about cheese paste fishing for chub.many a time he has out fished me when i have been on the bread or meat and he is using his cheese paste.i think he uses some sort of plastic coil to mould it around???

Disco stu

Reaction score
Its been in the fridge a year now John, She opened one of the tubs and nearly passed out.
Needless to say I am picking up a second hand fridge to put in my shed at the weekend.

DUNK

Reaction score
wrapped round plastic corn or maize on the hair is the way to go.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
it should be just about right.you know if its ready if it makes your eyes water at ten paces with cheese paste stronger the better.
fix a float stop onto a hair and mould the paste around it or put a piece of crust on the hook first then mould the paste around the hook shank behind it.you could always stick some in a blockend feeder and fish crust or maggot on the hook using the cheese as a attractant.

(ps...if you do find you have too much i'd give a couple of quid for a good chunk about the size of a tennis ball )

W

Wolfman Woody

Korum bait screws are a damn good idea!

or tie a small rubber bead to the hair and mould the paste around that. It's neutrally bouyant, almost.

Put a tiny piece of crust on the hook also just to balance it in the water. for a while you'll offer two baits and chub, greedy s***, like that! (A Mr Guttfield tip, that one)

Ricky

Reaction score
I generally mix a Jaffa size ball of cheese paste,then split into 4 balls. ileave it in the garden shed for at least 3 months,by which time,its got a lovely dark green mould on it.All it needs then is kneeding again to produce a really pungent smell.As chevander says,I like to use fresh bread flake on a size 4 or 6 Mustad Method hook,with some of the smelly stuff moulded round the shank.Its a killer in winter where i fish on the R Aire.

S

sash

Tie a normal hair rig without a loop on the hair, i.e. just a straight tail of mono. Trim that to a suitable length and put on it a leger stop, one of those small plastic collar & peg things. Mould your paste around that.

Convenient to use as well as the stop can be taken off at any time and a lump of meat / bread etc can be hooked directly onto the hook or you could superglue pellets to the hair.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Why bother with a hair.Big dollop on a size 6 with the hook point exposed has always worked well for me.If you mix it soft it will harden just enough in the water to keep it from coming off but still not impede striking.

I have never liked hairs for Mr Chub given his habit of backing off with the bait between those big lips.

F

Fred Bonney

A nice chunk of old stilton,moulded direct to a size 6, has always worked for me,although my best ever was on flake!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Will it be good after a year asks Stu, the answer is yes but it will be even better after two years.

I don't put mine in a plastic bag I just squash it into a small container and leave it in the fridge you know its ripe when it starts knocking on the fridge door to get out.

There was a time many moons ago when a piece of cheese sat in your creel and never a thought to fridging it, my god there were some ripe smells used to come out of the creels in those days but the fish loved it.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

With a port glug Fred??They must think christmas has come!

Disco stu

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I thank you all for your advice, it is much appreciated.

All that remains is for me to do is to simply select the correct swim on the Nene backbrook at Ringstead (W.D.N.A.C.), choose the right style of fishing coupled with balanced tackle, add small amounts of loose feed to attract, bait up with my "special" cheese paste, cast out and Presto! Get ready for an arm aching session.
This fishing lark is a piece of p**s.

And all this while fitting a new bathroom that I promised HER would be working before Christmas!

Y

yoggy

Stu,add some garlic and tuna oil with chopped chillies to your cheesepaste.The Nene Chub love it.Over the last few weeks the river has been running very clear so i would opt for a fluorocarbon hooklength,just to give you that extra edge.

honslow

Reaction score
Size 2 and 8lb line for me - when I hook a whacker I want to make sure it hits the net!!