Spiros

Reaction score
I am thinking of taking up fly fishing and have a couple of questions:
1.Do you need a game liscence to fish commercial trout pools?
2. If you buy a game liscence do you still need to buy a coarse liscence?
Cheers

S

Shrek

Licences are, for the majority of paying people, one of two things.

Non-migratory fish (Coarse fish, trout etc) and migratory fish (Salmon and sea trout).

To fish commercial trout pools you'll need the non-migratory fish licence, the one that costs about ?23.

Spiros

Reaction score
Thanks for that. If I want to fish for trout/grayling in rivers is it still the ?23 licence?
Also do Grayling count as Game or Coarse fish?
As a starter rod I am thinking of getting a Greys are these any good?
Cheers

alex laurie

Reaction score
Spiros,

A non-migratory licence will do for brown trout, rainbows and grayling. Rivers and lakes.
Grayling are a bit unusual in that some game anglers don't want to know them. I can't see why as they are a great quarry. They are technically speaking, a game fish as they have an adipose fin, but who gives a toss, as long as they have fins and take a bait?

Spiros

Reaction score
Thanks Laurie,
I am planning on starting on lakes to get my casting right then progressing to rivers streams next season. I am thinking about a 7 weith rod with a dry line - is this a good starting point?

S

Shrek

If you're new to fly fishing, then a you'd be best of starting with a #6 rod that's about 9ft long.

However, if I were you, I'd invest in a few casting lessons so you can be shown the correct way to cast as it will make your enjoyment of the sport far greater, instead of being frustrated.

Where abouts in the country are you?

alex laurie

Reaction score
Spiros,

As Ooo says, a 9ft rod for a #6 line is an ideal outfit for most waters. If you intend moving on to rivers a #7 line is a wee bit heavy.
I generally use a #5 or a #6 on lochs and a #4 or #5 on rivers.

Ooos suggestion on casting lessons is also spot on. This would get you on the right track and you'll enjoy your fishing so much more. The instuctors who have the A.P.G.A.I. certificate have to pass the most critical exam in the world.

Spiros

Reaction score
I live in York so am in easy reach of the Wharfe, Nidd, Derwent and Tributaries.
Anyone know of any lake fly fisheries in the area?

alex laurie

Reaction score
Don't have any local knowledge of Yorkshire lakes Spiros, but I'm sure there must be plenty. Rainbow fisheries are everywhere these days.

You do have some quality grayling and river trout fishing on your doorstep though.