Hello to all, and a few Q's

Shine

Reaction score
Hi. Just joined the site.

I'm new to the carp game (started in the summer). I used to do alot of see fishing off the rocks when I was a kid. Due to an op on my feet I had to find a new hobby to get me out and about. I went down to my local park and started catching roach, tench and small carp. The carp slowly got bigger and now I'm hooked!! :)

I joined a fishing club in the summer (T.W.A.P.S) and have been slowly learning how to catch carp. This will be my first winter coarse fishing and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on catching carp in the colder waters?
I went yesterday and there was no movement in the water or reeds all day, not even a nibble. Saying that I did catch a nice 8lb leather about 3ish. Apart from that (which made the day) there didnt seem to be any sign of life.
While fishing for carp in the cold water what bait is best? Fish on the top, near the top or off the bottom? Near to the bank, close to the reeds or in the middle of the lake?
Sorry for all the questions but like I said I'm newish to carp fishing and would like to learn more.

Cheers for any help.

I

Ian Cloke

Hi there Shine On, if you have a look in the carp forum, the guys there will give you all the advice you need matey;-))

T

The Monk

welcome mate, winter carp baits used to be traditionally fished on the bottom using milk proteins, but time and the weather have changed over the years, a roving rod on the larger waters otfen pays dividend as carp tend to slow down in the winter months, least on some waters. You would be as well choosing a water were people are catching and the carp are active in the cooler temps. A rover rod is a fish searcherouta, you recast it with a single bait into different areas of the lake at around half hour intervals, you are looking for the fish basically