things that go bump in the night

newbieneil

Reaction score
I went on my first fishing trip yesterday since my daughter was born 5 weeks ago ,to the river avon at marcliff(baa ) .me and my mate got there about 3pm and fished untill just after dark-starting our 1/2 mile walk back to the car about 10.20pm.we had our head torches on as we walked back past the lock/wier and along a concrete path,we suddenly noticed a rumbling noise behind us,it was as if there was someone with a suitcase on rollers,rolling along on the concrete but it was quite loud and very low...we stopped a few times and looked at each other and back into the darkness and it continued intermitantly but we couldnt hear it when the path changed to gravel or when we were loading the car up!? neither of us had a trolley of any description...the only thing i can think of is it could of been thunder in the distance or a large firework display and it was just a wierd occurence where the sound seemed right behind us-but then again fireworks would of lit the sky up surely and i dont think there was any thunder as it was a pretty clear night! ....so did anyone hear anything last night or had any simliar experiences of wierd occurences?

-Neil

Matt Gardner

Reaction score
I know the area well mate. That path back to the car park scares me stupid

gazb

Reaction score
A similar thing has happened to me on the River Ribble, the first couple of times I put it down to a spooky sort of occurance, but one night I was sat on the bank when it happened, I sat intrigued.
Then there it was it was a tidal boar wave. A great rumbling wave bringing the tide down the river it was amazing because after it passed the tide was fully in.

watatoad

Reaction score
I have seen more anglers than I care to count get spooked by hedgehogs when late evening or night fishing to say nothing of the number who have warned me of a strange screeching which usually was an owl...hehehe

However there are many river and canal banks that are quite famous for ghosts and there have even been a few books written on haunted river and canal banks, and the stories I heard as a child and a youngster were legion, so you never know...hehehe

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have seen more anglers than I care to count get spooked by hedgehogs when late evening or night fishing to say nothing of the number who have warned me of a strange screeching which usually was an owl...hehehe

Owls, foxes, badgers, hedgehogs and squealing rabbits as they are caught by a predator. All stand a good change of scaring the proverbial out of folks that probably never see real darkness unless they are out fishing at night. Such things probably explain why some folks are so fond of fires and the excessive use of torches when night fishing.;):D

little oik

Reaction score
I can remember years ago fishing the Stewponds in Epsom .I was about 16 and it was my first all nighter .Everything was quiet ,catching a few fish ,then the sirens went off at one of the mental health hospitals that surrounded the area at the time .All hell broke loose ,just thinking now about all the air miles that I could have earned everytime the leaves and bushes rustled. That was an experience I can tell you .